Thread: Vista Media Center Program Guide - stuck at zero percent complete

mwwhitby Guest

Default Vista Media Center Program Guide - stuck at zero percent complete

Now that I converted from Norton 360 to Zonealarm, Vista Media Center can no longer
    download the latest program guide.
    In order to completely remove Norton 360 I had to reformat my hard drive.
    I reinstalled Vista, SP1, and all of the windows updates, configured Media Center which includes a download of the current guide listings, then and only then did I install the latest Zonealarm Security Suite (yes, purchased and registered).
    Now when Vista Media Center tries to go out and download the current listings, it hangs in the program tray as "Downloading Program Guide data, 0 percent complete".
    I've added/updated numerous
    \ehome\*.* and \system32 entities that I've found to the ZA Program Control section as Super in the trust level, and checked all five columns as "allowed", but there must be something else missing.
    A URL to the trusted zone?
    Here's what I have in my program control as "Super Trusted".
    \ehome\ehshell.exe\ehome\ehmsas.exe\ehome\etray.ex e\system32\mfpmp.exe\ehome\ehrec.exe\ehome\ehrecvr .exe\ehome\ehsched.exe\ehome\mcupdate.exe\ehome\eh vid.exe
    By the way, the reason I think I need to add a URL to the trusted zone was because that was the only way I could get the WindowsUpdate to work, was to add update.microsoft.com and download.windowsupdate.com to the trusted zone. Don't know why I should, but I needed to do that.
    I did confirm.
    I uninstalled ZoneAlarm (disable didn't cut it) and was able to download the program guide updates, so this is most certainly a ZoneAlarm issue, nothing else.
    Poking around, this might be a common problem, but one I've been unable to solve.
    HELP!!!

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    Software Version:
    7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by MWWhitby on 07-06-2008 11:35 AM

Default Re: Vista Media Center Program Guide - stuck at zero percent complete

mcupdate.exe is a file of McAfee security suite or McAfee antivirus???
    Are you using or have used any McAfee security? Just checking.

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Give access to the trusted server and trusted access and internet access for the following:[*]services.exe[*]rundll32.exe[*]csrss.exe[*]explorer.exe[*]winlogon.exe[*]userinit.exe
    and give these three green bars.

For all of the items listed by both you and myself, right click each one as listed in the ZA program list and open the Options, check the first two items and apply and ok.

Make sure the Program Control slider it set to medium (learning) and not high (rigid control).
    Make sure the Trusted zone security slider is at medium and leave the Internet zone security slider at High.

For the items you listed, I think these do not need any internet server or email rights.
    Allowing the internet server poses some risks as this does open ports to the internet- and this can be a risk if not careful.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

mwwhitby Guest

Default Re: Vista Media Center Program Guide - stuck at zero percent complete

Never installed McAfee.
    \ehome\mcupdate so it's most certainly Windows Media Center.
    This still didn't work.
    I even added 204.2.216.114 then 64.86.183.24 to the trusted zone.
    Other
    Vista users seem to be having problems with Windows Update as well.
    Both WindowsUpdate and MediaCenterGuide are now stuck at zero percent for me.

Message Edited by MWWhitby on 07-12-2008 03:52 PM

mwwhitby Guest

Default Re: Vista Media Center Program Guide - stuck at zero percent complete - 7.1.254 issue?

I think my problem is resolved.
    I fell back to 7.1.248 and to this point in time I believe my issue is resolved.

Thread Information