Thread: Free Firewall version gone after Windows workaround version loaded

annb Guest

Default Free Firewall version gone after Windows workaround version loaded

I encountered the problem of not being able to access the internet after the MS Windows update was installed earlier this month.
    So I went to the ZoneAlarm website to download the fix.
    I chose the fix for Basic Firewall but wound up with anti-spyware as well.
    I did this 3 times, thinking perhaps I actually made the wrong selection.
    But it seems there's only one .exe that downloads no matter which selection you choose.
    Well, when
    I elected not to continue with the spyware, my firewall was discontinued as well.
    This is quite discouraging!

Is there no longer a free version of ZoneAlarm that I can use
    as a firewall that will work with Windows XP??

Please advise.
    Thanks!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Free Firewall+ SpyBlocker

AnnB, not to worry. The new versions of ZA Basic/ Free versions now come with an &quot;optional&quot; install of SpyBlocker/ Ask Toolbar during installation.<hr>Added optional Spy Blocker/ 'Ask' Search
    Toolbar for IE and Firefox which blocks spyware distribution sites and offers convenient search functionality = {this is an &quot;extra&quot; optional install - which will add a SpyBlocker/ 'Ask' Search Toolbar - you are not required to accept this optional toolbar to use the basic ZoneAlarm Free firewall - it is an added 'extra' option }. For more information about SpyBlocker/ Ask Toolbar - Click here &gt;http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte....jsp?c=P100014
    = You can also
    add this 'free' stand-alone component to any pc with/ or without any ZA firewall product.<hr>During installation you should have seen this/ click here &gt; http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=74709
    = which would have given you the opportunity 'not to install this &quot;optional&quot; feature' - nevertheless you can still remove &gt; go to 'add/ remove' find 'ZomeAlarm Spy Blocker' / Ask toolbar.<hr>Click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645 = pay attention to tips and quidelines; and should be able to install the new 7.0.483 with the MS fix - just keep an eye for the 'ZA dialogue box' during the install
    &gt; giving you the option &quot;not to install SpyBlocker&quot; - then you should be o.k.<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 7-18-08 - Neither One Of Us - Gladys Knight &amp; The Pips

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 07-18-2008 08:25 PM

annb Guest

Default Re: Free Firewall+ SpyBlocker

Thanks for your response but it doesn't answer or resolve the problem.
    I've gotten my answer already from a tech newsgroup, not from this site.
    I had to uninstall the current ZoneAlarm then download and install the free firewall version afresh.
    This worked and I am now 'protected' while on the net without having functions I don't want nor want to pay for.
    I did see the option for the free spyblocker that you advertise but this wasn't the original issue.

Thread Information