Thread: Another KB951748 Post

pmcjr Guest

Default Another KB951748 Post

Microsoft Support has implied to me that the problem with this Security Update adversely interacting with Zone Alarm is the responsibility of Zone Alarm to fix.
    At
    worse, I would hope it's a shared responsibility. The updates on the ZA
    press release http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cessIssue.html
    do not list an update for Zone Alarm Free.
    I am running v7.0.470.000 on WIndows XP.
    Is there a later version of Zone Alarm Free that fixes the problem...and if not, will there be?
    I have uninstalled KB951748 and turned off Windows Auto Update. For now, everything is working fine, but I hate to miss the Security Update.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Another KB951748 Post

Hi!Look for ZA 'basic' in the press release, that is the free version.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

shockwave Guest

I have had the clash of the Titans problem with Microsoft and Zone Alarm, and followed Zone Alarm's instructions to delete the update, but got it again as I do not want to turn off my updates. Then I tried downloading the update of the Firewall, as given on Zone Alarm's email - but it is actually an older version than I am currently running. Why is this a solution? Won't it give less protection?

whyinvalid Guest

Once you uninstall the update, you need to manually run Windows Update. Choose the "Custom" option when offered. If it has been uninstalled, KB951748 will be listed. Below it will be a box labeled similar to "Do not show this update." Check it. This tells Automatic Update that you do not want this one sent to you.

shockwave Guest

Thank you for the prompt help: unfortunately it didn't work.

Here's what I did:

Uninstall unwanted update: Start : Control Panel : Add or Remove Programs : tick Show Updates : check number of unwanted update : Remove.

Start : Programs : Windows Update : choose Custom option.

Here's what happened:

Twice deleted KB951748, gone to Update and found only KB892130 to be downloaded with no option to block it. Perhaps KB951748 has already got itself back onto my system, in the few minutes delay - will find out when I turn off.

I also downloaded the Zone Alarm fix, but when I clicked to install it, my computer warned me it is an older version than my current one, and I would be risking my security by installing it. Is it actually safe?

When will Zone Alarm be rolling out the real solution?

Thread Information