Thread: Windows SP3 & ZA

cpalace Guest

Default Windows SP3 & ZA

I'm hoping Old Sod will read this, as he
    has been so helpful in the past - (sorry if you're female, old sod).
    This is a chicken and egg question.
    I have downloaded, but not installed Windows SP3.
    I am running ZA free 6.5.737.000 - as you can tell I am wary about updating.I am using
    Windows XP - with Security Pack 2.
    My first issue is that Windows tells me to "back up my system" before installing. But I can't find anything anywhere to tell me how to do that! I'm aware this is a Windows issue - but it really affects my use of ZA.
    The next question is whether I should update
    ZA before installing SP3?Or should I install SP3, and then update ZA?
    Any advice
    would be much appreciated.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Windows SP3 & ZA

Hi

You have correctly guessed ny gender as male.

See Windows XP Backup Made Easy

Not good to backup the ZA, as the SP3 will change a lot of files and the old ZA settings will not adapt to the new SP3.

Here is what I did for the SP3 upgrading:

I manually copied the needede files and folders from the Documents and Settingg that I needed (music, photos, papers, books, bookmarks, etc) to be save, instead of using the windows backup feature. Saved me the installation of the Windows Backup. Plus I do have a second hard drisk drive on the computer and several USB drives and an external drive with a USB connection, so finding a place to stick things was not an issue. You could just copy the files to a folder and then burn that folder to a CD disk - this should work just as well.

I then uninstalled both the ZA and the antivirus programs (you could uninstall any extra scurity you are using too such as spyware scanners and such). To avoid any possible conflicts or issues with the newer windows files from the SP3.

Then installed the SP3. The SP3 installation went flawlessly and I had no issues.

Then went to windows update and made sure I had all of the latest updates installed.

Then installed the ZA and the antivirus programs.

This worked fine for me.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

cpalace Guest

Many thanks, Mr O Sod.I understood from the Windows message that it wanted me to back up its own
    "system", not the files and folders that I've added. Thanks for the explanation.I'm still very apprehensive, given that everything is working just fine at the moment, and every time I seem to update anything , things don't go smoothly.I suppose there has to be a reason why I can't keep things as they are?If it ain't broke ....CheerscpalaceAdelaide, Australia.

If you have been consistantly installing the windows updates, there is no real need to install SP3 as a windows home user.
    SP3 is a "rollup" or the lump of the previous updates already installed and a few extra added (and these extras are more for a business enviroment and not for the single pc home user).

I would suggest then to skip the SP3 installation and thus avoid the anxiety and just download the latest ZA free 7.0.483.000 from here, uninstall the older ZA and then install the latest already downloaded to your desktop.
    Just use the Internet Explorer for the downloading the ZA installer and do not use any web accelerators or download managers as these will corrupt the ZA installer.

Once that is all finished, then get the latest windows updates.
    BUT be careful since the windows updates will soon be including the SP3 installation by default and you may end up installing SP3 by mistake.
    That is if you do not want the SP3 in the first placeto begin with.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

cpalace Guest

What a man! But pray,
    have patience with an even older sod.
    I was with you until you said : "Just use the Internet Explorer for the downloading the ZA installer and do not use any web accelerators or download managers as these will corrupt the ZA installer."
    I am afraid I haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about there. How would I
    know if I was using the afore mentioned web accelerators or download managers? ( Whatever they might be!)
    Here's what I think you're telling me to do!
    Via Internet Explorer 7, I'll go to the Zone Alarm forum. Where it's talking to me about the nasty Windows Update that fouled everyone up, I'll click on
    "download
    latest version of ZA". Then I'll unintall my existing version of ZA. Then I'll install the new version, that's saved on my desktop. Will I have to change/update any settings?
    And whenever Windows tells me there's an update available, I'll use "customise" instead of "express", and just make sure I install that month's Malicious Tool
    thingummy. Anything but SP3, in other words.
    Please be gentle and stay with me on this, if you can!
    Regards
    cpalace

Whaddya
    reckon, Mr O.S?

General rule is if you don't know what it is, then you probably do not have it.
    The Internet Explorer has no default web accelerators or download managers added, so if those are not used on the desktop, then you probably do not have any.
    Should be all good.

Yes download the ZA free from the previously given link, uninstall the ZA and then install the newer ZA. Do not save the previous setting, as this will avoid any ZA issues with itself or with the later windows updates (including the one that conflicted with the ZA).

Then get the wanted MS updates.
    And yes avoid the SP3 in the Custom selection of the windows update web site as you do not want it. The automatic installation of the SP3 will be appearing either this month or the next, so keep alert.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

cpalace Guest

There's hope for a old luddite yet.Many thanks as ever.Regardscpalace

You are welcome cpalace.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

cpalace Guest

Old sod,I finally plucked up the courage to fix something that wasn't broken ... under the supervision of computer cogniscent son, heir.After carrying out your suggested back-ups, we eventually managed to install SP3. It
    took forever, and appeared to freeze right at the end of installation. We had to resort to the Task Manager to end the program, thinking we'd have to start all over again. But it turned out SP3 had
    installed after all - and so far there have been no problems.However, we then turned our attention to ZA Free.We saved the ZA downloader to my desktop, but when we ran it we got a rejection message. I've saved it as a jpeg but can't work out how to send it to you! It's very long but starts off with "Set up was unable to find the MSI package or patch" and then gives a url http//redirect.zonelabs.com with much more following.
    Was it really important to uninstall the existing version of ZA before trying to install the new one? Normally when updating software you don't have to uninstall first. Both of us feel that if we'd uninstalled ZA first, we wouldn't have a firewall at all now. At least I've still got the old one working OK.
    Do tell us where we've gone wrong - you've been so helpful in the past.
    Regards
    cpalace

ZA install and the windows/za message says no or unable for the msi package or patch is usually simple.
    The ZA never uses the winodws/microsoft installer - the ZA installer is packed with it's own installer whcih it always uses.

What the problem is the ZA installer was corrupted and hence the unwanted message and failed install.

The ZA installer will get corrupted by using a download manager or with a web accelerator.
    (these try to pull files from different servers or compress the file which is already compressed and the installer gets damaged as a result).
    Best advice is to download a fresh ZA installer from the ZA servers using the Internet Explorer and do it the slow way.

Download from here:

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information