Thread: Is ZoneAlarm Ste ready for Service Pack 3?

hcuriel Guest

Default Is ZoneAlarm Ste ready for Service Pack 3?

I recently received the Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929) download from Microsoft. However, prior to installing it, I want to make SURE that there are no issues with ZoneAlarm Suite (ver. 7.04.483.000). I chatted with support and got a lukewarm "it should work" response. Before I install it, I want to make sure I don't have problems, ala issue with Windows update KB951748.

Can someone confirm that no issues have arisen?

thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Is ZoneAlarm Suite ready for Service Pack 3 - yes

Yes, I will tell you to read all of the precautions and preparations from Microsoft.<hr>My personal experience: I had a 'hellish time' due to my owning a HP/ Compaq desktop and having a serious problem that caused 'endless rebooting nightmare.' <hr>There was a solution and explanation from a third-party expert pc blogger who offered a nice and easy 'fix'; better than Microsoft's and HP's 'fix.' Anyhow, after a few weeks I got up the courage to try again, and did so, thank goodness.
    You will also see many users here who will list XP SP3 as part of their set-up - so it does work.
    <hr>[*]1 - Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3 &gt; click here &gt; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/[*][*]2
    - How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of Windows XP Service Pack
    [*]3
    &gt;
    click here &gt; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718/en-us
    = ....excerpts v<hr>THE FOLLOWING
    is 'some' recommendations from Microsoft's knowledge base; there are more...<hr>[*]Method 3: Temporarily disable any antivirus, antispyware, and third-party firewall programs[*][*]Important These steps may increase your security risk. These steps may also make the computer or the network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We recommend the process that this article describes to enable programs to operate as they are designed to or to implement specific program capabilities. Before you make these changes, we recommend that you evaluate the risks that are associated with implementing this process in your particular environment. If you decide to implement this process, take any appropriate additional steps to help protect the system. We recommend that you use this process only if you really require this process.

Installation failure may occur when a third-party program holds a file open or when it locks a file that the Windows XP SP3 installation program needs. To minimize this possibility, follow these steps before you install Windows XP SP3:[*][*]1. Exit any open programs, and then restart the computer.[*][*]2. After the computer has restarted, disable any antivirus, antispyware, and third-party firewall programs that may start during the startup process.

You can typically disable these programs from the notification area. To disable a program from the notification area, right-click the program icon, and then click an appropriate option to disable the program.

Note If these options are not available, see the program documentation. Or, contact the program's manufacturer for instructions.[*][*]
    3. After you disable these programs, visit the following Microsoft Web site to reselect and install Windows XP SP3:<div class="indent">http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com[*]<div class="indent">Note If you have downloaded the full download package, try to install Windows XP SP3 from the full download package. If you want to download the full package, use Method 2.[*]<div class="indent">[*]<div class="indent">4. After you have completed the Windows XP SP3 installation process, re-enable any antivirus, antispyware, and third-party firewall programs that you disabled in step 2.<hr>Method 4: Start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)[*]<div class="indent">[*]<div class="indent">
    1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc in the Open box, and then click OK.[*]<div class="indent">[*]<div class="indent">
    2. Right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and then click Properties.[*]<div class="indent">[*]<div class="indent">
    3. On the General tab, click Automatic in the Startup type box, and then click Apply.[*]<div class="indent">[*]<div class="indent">
    4. In the &quot;Service status&quot; section of the properties dialog box, verify that the BITS service is started. If it is not started, click Start.[*]<div class="indent">[*]<div class="indent">
    5. Click Apply, and then click OK...<hr>http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=18501<hr>You may want to check Microsoft's website for any more 'new updated fixes or remaining issues' with XP SP3. There are a few very isolated 'rare' software that still have issues; and it known by Microsoft.<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 8-31-08 - How Can You Mend A Broken Heart - The Bee Gees[*]<div class="indent">
    <ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]

My personal notes: Finally got XP SP 3 installed after some
    previous disastrous failed attempts.
    I did shutdown my ZA Antispyware firewall and my other brand anti-virus and my Webroot SpySweeper anti-spyware just prior to XP SP 3 install and it does work. ZA, anti-virus and SpySweeper all have an easy 'shutdown/ disable' button on their system tray icons and will re-activate after the mandatory 'restart' of the XP SP 3 install - so no problems with that. Optional: you can go to these types of software that you will temporarily shut-down - and first shut down or reduce any of the 'real time' protection/ shields/ guards
    options that may be available for these software just prior to actual shut-down.

After such a large install I would recommend a 'defrag' of your pc. One way &gt;
    right click 'My Compter' destop icon &gt; 'Manage' &gt; Disk Defragmenter. There are other ways to get it. Some pc-tune-up
    software has a link for defraging. This will help improve overall pc performance and speed, yes.

[ Anyone with an &quot;HP/ Compaq&quot; desktop only - no laptops -
    will need to
    take an 'extra precautionary
    step' to prevent 'endless rebooting disaster/ problem.' Please search in this forum (which I have discussed and gave links to) or use your search engines on this 'known issue' and the 'resolutions.' ] [ http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...d=94971#M18501
    see # 5 ]
    <ul>[/list][/list]

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 09-23-2008 11:25 PM

Thread Information