Thread: RE: (w3wp.exe) is trying to access internet endlessly- Help - Oldsod

shakur Guest

Default RE: (w3wp.exe) is trying to access internet endlessly- Help - Oldsod

Dear Oldsod,

I hope your fine and doing well. I have recently noticed that in ZA logs a program named w3wp.exe is endlessly trying to communicate with internet. I have set ZA to block it while i get help. I have searched internet i found that it is part of ISS in windows. But i do not understand what is ISS. Can you please help me, if you have time. Thank you. Shakur

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: RE: (w3wp.exe) is trying to access internet endlessly- Help - Oldsod

Hi Shakur

How are you?
    I hope all is good.
    I guess you are back for another year at the higher institues of learning.

The w3wp.exe is part of the IIS. The IIS should be either uninstallable in the Add and Remove Programs or be disabled from starting with windows vista in the GUI within the IIS itself.
    Depending if the IIS is really needed or not.

When installing Vista, the IIS is an option to be installed or not.

By the sounds of things, I would assume you do not need the IIS as you are not making files available as a dedicated server to the internet.
    Your Vista laptop is still basically a personal operating system and it is not used for a file web server.

I still have not migrated to Vista and still using the XP, so I am afraid I am not much help with Vista.

Best regards.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

shakur Guest

Default Re: RE: (w3wp.exe) is trying to access internet endlessly- Help - Oldsod

First of all Thank you for responding.

Yes i am at higher institues of learning. Back home do not ask. Everyone there lives in fear that can be either Taliban or Americans. lets not discuss that.
    Thats good that you have not moved to vista, you remember i brought a laptop which had vista, Microsoft should change it's name to PROBLEM or something. Too many problems within vista. I think Windows 7 will be good. Before going back to my country i thought i will communicate with you but then i thought this not the place to make thread just to say Hi.

Anyway s i have look at google i found that it can be disabled via windows features in control panel and it not essential for windows. So i will uninstal it for good. Thank very much for helping Oldsod. As before i am very grateful to you. You know on my XP desktop i have only got 1 high alert i am that secure and it's Thanks to You for that. Shakur

Shakur
    Hi.
    In this life, if anyone can declare, I have done no mistakes, and it is perfectly justifiable, then they are living right.

The mistakes I am talking about are not those items that are judged only by the higher power, but those life mistakes as seen in the human living condition - in it's society and it's civilization, which are dictated by the laws/ morales/mannerisms/culture/human condition.
    Just the human condition issues.
    If you can say I did no wrong with those particular issues, then you can be proud and be correct to say I am blameless.
    I do think you fit in the blameless category.
    So you should be proud!

Glad to hear the problem is solved and the desktop is secure!
    All the best to you.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

shakur Guest

Thank You for your kind words. As i said before i am very thankful to God that i have met you. I have one last question i hope you dont mind, I have recently received email from ZA about new update the 8.0 version i have updated it on Desktop. I did not see any technical changes except for interference. Shall i upgrade it on my laptop? will it bring the privacy features back? will it have any difference to 7 version?

Oh the ZA Pro for Vista downloads and the release history (with description of changes) can be found here:

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...ory_vista.html

ZA SS for Vista downloads with release history is found here:

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...ory_vista.html

The 8.0.015.000 version for XP has still the Privacy.
    I am guessing this is for both the XP and the Vista too, but not sure as I do not use the Vista.
    There is a newer ZA coming out very soon, so I would hold off with this present release and then get the next release. The present ZA 8.0.015.000 seems ok so far, but if a newer version is coming out soon, then pick that soon to be released next version.

All the best to you!

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

shakur Guest

Thank you Oldsod. Problem solved. I will update the ZASS when new version is introduced. Once again thank you. Bye for now. Best regards, Shakur

Thread Information