Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewall Alerts Log Viewer Empty or not showing any activity

kru_zader Guest

Default Firewall Alerts Log Viewer Empty or not showing any activity

Just noticed today that the "Firewall" section on the ZoneAlarm 'Alerts & Log' is
    not generating any entries like it used to and is completely blank??? I do have
    entries showing up on the "Program" Section. My "OS Firewall" section is also
    blank. I have reset the Zonealarm database per the instructions and I double
    checked that all the check marks on the 'Advanced' Menu on the 'Main' Section
    of the Alerts & Log are OK. Am I the only one having this problem. What could
    I do to fix this? Thanks.

athiker95 Guest

Default Re: Firewall Alerts Log Viewer Empty or not showing any activity

You are not alone. Same issue here.

Mark

kru_zader Guest

I am not sure if this is a good thing coz it seems that ZA has
    completely blocked attempts to monitor my Internet Connection
    that I am not getting any kind of listing of the usual "Internet
    Chatter" that I usually get??? Either this or ZA Firewall is
    not working at all!

sa_zauser Guest

My Log Viewer does not show any log entry prior to the most recent boot. It will show entries for all alert types that have activity in the current session, but only until the next boot. After Re-booting the Log Viewer tab comes up empty. Navigate to ZALog.txt (via Alerts & Logs / Main / Advanced / Log Control / View Log) and all entries from install date/time (or database reset) to the present date/time are there, but they do not display on the Log Viewer tab.

Log Control is set to archive log text every 30 days to C:\windows\internet logs\zalog.txt . All events to be logged are set to the the ZA defaults.

I have tried both re-setting the database, and a complete clean uninstall/reinstall....several times. Neither of these has fixed the problem.

Windows XP-5.1.2600-Service Pack 3-SMP
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:955283288
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200807.4245
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

No boot program running to wipe internet log files.

Log Viewer used to work fine. Any ideas on what broke, or how to fix it?

Message Edited by sa_zauser on 07-17-2008 01:41 PM

Message Edited by sa_zauser on 07-17-2008 01:52 PM

kru_zader Guest

I was almost going to do a Uninstall/Clean Install. It's
    a good thing I read your response that this DOES NOT solve
    the problem either. Thanks, I'll wait until they can get
    a fix in.

Like you, I have my logs set to 30-days but it seems that
    it resets after rebooting the computer (I unplug mine
    everyday after using it).

kirkwolf Guest

Noticed the same problem with ZA Pro - the paid version - - - - It seems to me that a number of Virus/Trojan/Malware producers have figured out how ZA works in detail, and have worked their way around it.
    For example, I have an annoyance that uses the "Zonealarm Updclient.exe" to try and send data of unknown kind to a suspicious website called "wasteaminute.com".In other words, in the ZA Alerts &
    logs window, under the "Program" type of alert, the weird thing shows up as using boththe ZA "updclient.exe" and the "IEXPLORE.EXE" programs to secretly send messages to the "wasteaminute.com" site. (207.44.248.17:53)
    I have used all sorts of virus/trojan/malware cleaners to get rid of it (AVG,**bleep**,Search&Destroy, Trojan hunter, Adaware, Malwarebytes, CCcleaner) , and it is still there, undetected..

I have blocked the particular name and IP address specifically in the ZA firewall settings, and that works, but the thought that there is something in there that I can't get to, and that all the other utilities don't get is, well, annoying.Another item was that a Win32.Trojan.Agent.xxx was able to write itself into the Zone alarm "scanning exceptions" list, effectively preventingitself from being caught by ZA.
    I had zero items in the exceptions list, and had never any item in there, so I know the Trojan was ableto circumvent something that ZA figured was bulletproof.

(No one else but me uses this computer. I got another one for the kids, that regularly gets infected, just like the kids themselves.... ha!)
    Now to me that means that Zonealarm and all the others are not catching something they should catch.

I don't know how to contact Zonealarm's actual people in charge, so may be someone here can do this.
    Thanks
    WK

riceorony Guest

Kirkwolf,

Please visit http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...are_report.jsp and report your spyware problems to ZA and explain everything.

Try to perform an online scan by visiting (www.b i tdefender.com)*connect all the letters!

Next, run HiJack This! by Trend Micro (www.trendmicro.com visit free online services and post the log here for analysis)

And actually, there are viruses that can disrupt any or all security suites. Also, if your computer is compromised in any way (via downloads, email attachments, etc.) then you could potentially have a back-door open for hackers to alter and manipulate your files, etc.

riceorony Guest

Kru_zader,

You three are not alone, as this has happened recently to me too (about 2 days ago) and after shut-down all current activity is lost.

Apparently the new default for some reason under logs is to clear them after 1 day (looked under advanced settings for the logs)

Maybe an update has mysteriously altered this? Kind of strange how it affected us all in succession.

Particularly because I run ZA-ISS, counterspy v2, and ZA FF (along with a slew of on-demand scanners) on a weekly basis.

riceorony Guest

Please go to the Internet Log Files in the Zone Labs/Alarm folder and remove all the old entries.

The files could have become corrupt over time and the database needs to be reset in order to restore functionality.

sa_zauser Guest

The log files were removed during the clean uninstall/install.

http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.html

Log files can also be re-set by Cntl-shift-right click on the ZA system tray icon, then select Reset.

Unfortunately neither of these procedures worked for me. :-(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information