Thread: Security Center Does/Does NOT recognize ZoneAlarm

paulw Guest

Default Security Center Does/Does NOT recognize ZoneAlarm

On my desktop PC (WinXP Pro SP2), Windows Security Center recognizes ZoneAlarm Pro as in "ZoneAlarm Pro Firewall is currently ON..."
    That's a good thing.
    [SC also recognizes AVG AntiVirus.]
    On my son's laptop (also WinXP Pro SP2), Windows Security Center does NOT recognize ZoneAlarm Pro:
    "Windows Detects that your computer is not currently protected by a firewall"
    Of course, ZAPro is in fact running.
    [SC does not recognize AVG AntiVirus on his PC either.]
    So, why does one box recognize ZAPro and the other does not?
    How can my son get his laptop to recognize ZAPro?
    This is not a big deal, since ZAPro is working just fine; however, it sure raised my curiosity.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

jdclarkson Guest

Default Re: Security Center Does/Does NOT recognize ZoneAlarm

I'm having the same problem. On my desktop, Windows Security Center used to recognize ZA, but now it doesn't. On my laptop, everything is as it should be. I do notice that if I restart the Security Center process, it recognizes Zone Alarm, but that's only a temporary fix; as soon as I reboot, I get the little red icon warning me (falsely) that I have no Firewall or Spyware protection.
    My guess is that it has something to do with the order in which ZoneAlarm and Security Center are loaded. The
    workaround is to tell Security Center not to monitor for firewall and spyware protection, but I'd rather fix the problem than work around it.

Any gurus have a solution?

jdclarkson Guest

should have written, "Security Center service," not Security Center process.

horseman Guest

<blockquote><hr>PaulW wrote:On my desktop PC (WinXP Pro SP2), Windows Security Center recognizes ZoneAlarm Pro....
    On my son's laptop (also WinXP Pro SP2), Windows Security Center does NOT recognize ZoneAlarm Pro:
    This is not a big deal, since ZAPro is working just fine; however, it sure raised my curiosity.

<hr>

</blockquote><blockquote>

Sure raised my curiousity to, since I detected a problem with one of my security products that use(d) the WSC.

<hr>jdclarkson wrote:

I'm having the same problem. On my desktop, Windows Security Center used to recognize ZA, but now it doesn't. ......

Any gurus have a solution?<hr></blockquote>

So while you both are waiting for a &quot;real guru&quot; you could both check your event logs in MMC and the WMI/WBEM logs (particularly the WBEMESS.LOG) in default location C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Logs for any clues?

Thankfully not being a guru I'm also free to comment without any danger of improving my (non)credibilty rating or having to check my facts!
    ;-)

So there are two basic ways the WSC obtains info on security products:
    1. via the open source WMI API method
    2. Checking some registry/config file entries for legacy products(pre SP2-2004?).

If ZA (and AVG) use the newer method(1.) to register themselves as &quot;providers&quot; then WSC can use API to interrogate the WMI repository.

Of course not being a guru I don't actually have the initiative(or I'm too lazy) to check the mofcomp and setup logs to check to see if either of these do register with WMI?

:-P

and not being a guru I can also freely speculate and provide many more WAG's about WMI repository corruption or ACL/ACE access errors that could possibly cause your symptoms but I would probably only make you laugh more!
    :-)

Apart from googling for any likely errors you find in above logs
    you could also refer to:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr.../help/wmi.mspx

Now WSC service is therefore dependent on WMI management service so does restarting WSC force it initially to use a legacy route? And/or does a reboot just reload the WMI repository thus perhaps pointing to say, an ACL/ACE sequence type conflict problem from other realtime monitors(inc ZA) in the startup sequence that you also indirectly speculated on? So perhaps starting with Admin or Limited user might effect the results?

If you're really curious you could play with WBEMTEST application while your idly waiting for a passing guru?
    Mind you they're like UK buses, if the problems interesting enough - 3 will turn up at the same time!

;-)

Finally post back with some/all of your results here and with luck a real guru will respond and assuage all our curiousities with the correct answer? :-)

paulw Guest

Horseman,
    Thanks for your interest and information-packed response.
    Unfortunately, I didn't understand a bit of it.
    I explored the logs that you mentioned and nothing jumped out at me.
    Of course, I don't know what I'm looking for.
    I'm not computer-illiterate; however, you're way over my head.
    I guess I'll wait for the &quot;real guru&quot;.
    Don't take me wrong: I really do appreciate your effort in providing a response.
    -PaulW

horseman Guest

<blockquote><hr>PaulW wrote:
    Horseman,
    Thanks for your interest and information-packed response.
    Unfortunately, I didn't understand a bit of it....
    I'm not computer-illiterate; however, you're way over my head.
    I guess I'll wait for the &quot;real guru&quot;.....
    <hr></blockquote>

Hi Paul, No problem - Admittedly it's difficult to &quot;pitch&quot; at the right level without appearing to insult,patronise or conversely induce yawn/sleep mode etc...

but as we're all apparently still waiting for sage words of wisdom from a passing guru I trust you'll excuse
    me rambling on with a few more wild hypotheses and vague observations in the meantime while we're patiently tapping our fingers

So my previous stab-in-the-dark was based on the arguably flawed premise that both yourself and John had a similar problem (thus avoiding me tailoring two separate posts - OK so I'm lazy wiv it!) and that
    :-
    1. WSC was correctly configured for Alert level required. (You hadn't altered the Alert settings under Resources?)
    2. That the PC's in question weren't part of a domain (which introduces the possibility that remote reporting/administration turns off WSC alerts/status)
    3. That ZA and AVG use WMI API to register as &quot;providers&quot; and this WMI repository is what WSC interrogates to get the status of individual FW/AV etc.
    4. That you were not running (or perhaps had previously run but not completely removed?) any other additional AV/FW like Norton AV or McFee. (Cos these like to be in charge and meddle with WSC alerts - and they're prone to tenaciously cling to users registry and elsewhere leaving bomb laden detritus laying about after us
      users naively invoke their uninstall routines. Thus leaving the gullible victim expecting them to take all their resource hogging rubbish away with them when they're politely asked to leave!&lt;g&gt; ).

So I zoomed in on possible WMI repository problems as
    that seemed the most interesting and since I know b*gger all about it ( or anything else come to that&lt;g&gt; ) and so I was curious as well!

If you google for your WSC problems as I'm sure you have, you typically find two solutions offered to your symptoms:
    1. If your AVG/FW otherwise appears to be working then ignore WSC and/or turn off the alerts by clicking on Reccomendations and selecting &quot;I'll monitor my AV/FW myself&quot; option.
      OR

2. Reinstall FW/AV again so it correctly registers with WSC.

Well IMHO and being somewhat paranoid, option 1 appears to ignore the possibility that there might be an underlying problem with WMI repository (that most but not all AV/FW use to provide status to WSC and other utilities) or that a malevelont entity may be lying semi-dormant
    on the system having manipulated the WSC status and is waiting for opportunity when you disable AV/FW, which could happen if you -

Option 2 which may be an overkill (and particularly if you've struggled with installing ZA previously) thus not something you'd probably want to undertake lightly if at all!&lt;g&gt;.

So similar to John's temp workaround when I've had a similar WSC status problem to yours previously I've first disabled the WMI service (which then disables the WSC because its dependent on WMI) and then renabled WSC service (which auto starts WMI dependency service) and this has proved successful in the past with &quot;resynchronising&quot; WSC to reflect correct status.

However as stated I suspect if you have an underlying WMI repository problem then that won't fix the WSC status problem!

I only mention all of this because I'm stumbling along with MS's WMIDiag utility at the moment to track down a few DCOM registration anomalies that I was curious about which resulted in the similar symptom of an installed security product not reflected in WSC!.

An explanation of that utility can be found at:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr...idiag.mspx#ELB

But it's not for the faint of heart .

;-)

Anyway hopefully by time you've read this and got even more confused then
    a tame guru will have happened by!

Unless you're still curious (or sad &amp; bored) and want me to waffle on some more?&lt;vbg&gt;

In meantime good

luck anyway in your search for an answer or
    a guru!
    ;-)

andrewbt Guest

I had a similar problem too until after a repair install of XP SP2 when Security Centre started recognising Zone Alarm again. Great. Then Windows Update got to work, and after 30 odd patches were applied WSC stopped recognising Zone Alarm :-(

sahmmy Guest

Hello

What I did was uncheck the box Start Zone Lab at start up

then rebooted...

When the computer rebooted I was prompted that I had no firewall then I checked that box again... and it was fine...

lolo Guest

<blockquote><hr>Sahmmy wrote:

Hello

What I did was uncheck the box Start Zone Lab at start up

then rebooted...

When
    the computer rebooted I was prompted that I had no firewall then I checked that box again... and it was fine...

<hr></blockquote>
    Thanks I did what you said and It worked thanks. Lolo

Thread Information