Thread: Windows explorer and OS firewall alert

discourage Guest

Default Windows explorer and OS firewall alert

Hi,
    Since installing ZASS V8 in the event logs whenever I logoff/reboot/shutdown I get an event which says the following:
    Description Windows Explorer was prevented from changing the behavior of ZoneAlarm Security Suite by modifying the file: ZLDIR*
    Rating High
    Date / Time 2008-09-01 13:01:22+1:00
    Type File
    Subtype File Write
    Data ZLDIR*
    Program C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    Action Taken Blocked (once)
    Count 1
    Policy bonaire-nouploads-policy

Now this slows down the logoff/reboot/shutdown process for about 2mins.
    Its more of an annoyance than anything, but no other version of ZA has done this before. Scanned for viruses, spyware etc etc all clean.
    Why would explorer be "writing" to any files within the ZA dir and what exactly is this "bonaire-nouploads-policy"?
    Any fix for this?

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Windows explorer and OS firewall alert

Hi!
    yes, I see the same from the logs... but I have no slowdown during boot/shutdown.
    ZA 8 have been hardened against tampering... may be this alert is due to more ZA selfprotection.

Report this to ZA technical support, may its normal (www.zonealarm.com/tsform)
    Report back here if you get any useful feedback.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

kritiker Guest

Is this the message that you got?

I found that pressing "More Info" took me to page

where I was told to "change the Trust Level of this program" but, at least in my case, the "trust level" for "Windows Explorer" was already set to "super".

I have sent a request to tech support and I will post here again if I learn anything useful. Sorry I couldn't be of any real help.

I too am curious if anyone knows what "Policy bonaire-nouploads-policy" is. I assume that you pulled this info from the log?

Message Edited by Kritiker on 09-09-2008 10:55 AM

Message Edited by Kritiker on 09-09-2008 10:55 AM

txtxtxt Guest

If you ever get a solution to this, can you post it in the forum?
    ....I have the same problem

kritiker Guest

I wrote to tech support the following:
    "Whenever Windows XP Pro SP3 starts I get four 'ZoneAlarm Security Alerts' saying some variation of 'Protected', 'Windows Explorer was prevented from changing the behaviour of ZoneAlarm Security Suite by modifying the file: WINSYSDIR\Zonelabs. Program: Windows Explorer.'
    In this case this was the third of the four alerts. Clicking the 'more info' button leads me to a ZA web page where it is suggested that I might like to give Windows Explorer 'super' trust level but my trust level for it is ALREADY set to 'super'.
    Please note that I did not let ZoneAlarm set up my programs for me when I installed it (It is too generous in assigning some trust levels, e.g., 'super' to Firefox.) and I keep my Smart Advisor setting on manual."

I received the following back:
    "I understand that you are receiving four ZoneAlarm security alerts at startup. I apologize for any inconvenience that this
    issue may be causing you.
    There may be a problem with your TrueVector service. ZoneAlarm is dependent on its TrueVector service to function
    properly. You may need to refresh the files associated with this service, especially after a networking change, Windows
    OS change, or ZoneAlarm update."
    followed by directions on how to do the 'reset'.

I don't know to what extent my not letting ZoneAlarm setup my programs for me was responsible for this problem. Tech Support didn't comment on that. I don't know if others who have this problem let ZA set up their programs at installation or not.

I was having other (slow shutdown) problems too so I basically reverted back to 7.0.483.000 rather than spend any more time on getting version 8 to work properly.

dsps Guest

I too have found this same problem.
    I sent a message in the topic listing of "Security and Vulnerability".
    I am also having the "very slow shut down" (which I have already sent a TS form)
    andconstant scanning process but what it is scanning I have no idea.

shiloh_enriquez Guest

I am also having the same exact problem...would like a resolution from zone alarm. I can of course open a support ticket but since others are having the exact problem it would be nice to see a solution posted hear

Hi!
    ZA staff does not monitor this forum, we are all users here.

Please report to ZA: www.zonealarm.com/tsform
    More tickets opened more likely this gets up into the list of bugs to be fixed.
    Given it has no effects on the functionality of ZA it may easily sleep down the priority list.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information