Thread: Suspicious Behavior Warning

bkushner Guest

Default Suspicious Behavior Warning

I am getting this message on several programs when I start them for the first time after booting up even though I check the ALLOW box and the APPLY SETTING to all. In the past I only got the pop up one time and never again once approved.

One big problem is it's doing it on my automated back up every night and stopping my system from backing up until I ok the program?

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

findley Guest

Default Re: Suspicious Behavior Warning

<blockquote><hr>bkushner wrote:
    I am getting this message on several programs when I start them for the first time after booting up even though I check the ALLOW box and the APPLY SETTING to all. In the past I only got the pop up one time and never again once approved.

One big problem is it's doing it on my automated back up every night and stopping my system from backing up until I ok the program?

Brian

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

<hr></blockquote>bkushner,
    When ZAPro doesn't remember settings usually resetting the database solves the problem.
    Have you tried resetting the ZAPro database?

A corrupt za database
    can be caused by any &quot;unusual&quot; shutdown like a power outage or crash.

To reset the Zone Alarm database do this:
    1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot
    Be aware that by resetting the database you will lose all your customizations.
    Findley

bkushner Guest

<blockquote><hr>Findley wrote:

<blockquote><hr>bkushner wrote:

Brian

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

<hr></blockquote>bkushner,
    When ZAPro doesn't remember settings usually resetting the database solves the problem.
    Have you tried resetting the ZAPro database?

A corrupt za database
    can be caused by any &quot;unusual&quot; shutdown like a power outage or crash.

To reset the Zone Alarm database do this:
    1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot
    Be aware that by resetting the database you will lose all your customizations.
    Findley

<hr></blockquote>

Thanks Findley:

I will give resetting a try..

Brian

findley Guest

Brian,

You're welcome and if that does the job do a zone alarm backup once you've reestablished your settings to your satisfaction.
    Findley

bkushner Guest

<blockquote><hr>Findley wrote:
    Brian,

You're welcome and if that does the job do a zone alarm backup once you've reestablished your settings to your satisfaction.
    Findley
    <hr></blockquote>

Zone alarm backup???? Please elaborate.

findley Guest

Brian,

Sure, I be happy to elaborate on the zone alarm backup feature. Zone alarm provides you the ability to backup your customized settings, so that if you need to do a database reset because of corruption, you can nicely and easily bring in your saved settings and not have to re-establish everything again. I backup mine whenever I make any changes, I also use a commercial product, snag-it to save to text my settings so I've got both and can reconstruct my customizations in a short period of time.

Here's how to back up your customized settings:

Backing up and restoring security settings

You can back up your existing security settings to an XML file so that you can restore them later, should you need to.

The backup and restore feature should not be used to share settings among different computers or to distribute security policies. To do so could cause an extremely high number of alerts to appear due to differences among computers, applications, and Windows processes.

The ability to back up and restore settings is only available in ZoneAlarm Pro and ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

To back up security settings
    Select Overview|Preferences.
    In the Backup and Restore Security Settings area, click Backup.
    Type a file name or select an existing file to overwrite.
    Click Save.

To restore security settings
    Select Overview|Preferences.
    In the Backup and Restore Security Settings area, click Restore.
    Select the XML file which contains the settings you want to use.
    Click Open.

It's a good practice to get in the habit of backing up your settings periodically and/or whenever you've made major changes to your settings; then if you need to do a database reset, or upgrade or new install then you've got all your previous settings which can be restored using the handy backup feature of zone alarm.

Regards,
    Findley

bkushner Guest

Thanks. I take it when you do a reset as I did restoring from this file will restore settings only and not the database?

findley Guest

bkushner,

The database reset restores your zone alarm as if it were new. The database reset procedure now is a simple click or two as described in a previous post. But if you were a user of zone alarm prior to version 7.0.462.000 you would have had to manually delete the files found in the internet logs and backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb

Here's the old way of restoring zone alarm to just like new:

Please reset the ZA database this way:
    # Boot your computer into the Safe Mode
    # Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder
    # Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder
    # Clean the Recycle Bin
    # Reboot into the normal mode
    # ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

So the database reset is removing zone alarm data files which have become corrupted and rolling back settings to the default just like new. Your backup is your customized settings.; a separate file which you create via the procedure detailed in an earlier post. And the data files mentioned above are recreated by zone alarm. The appearance of zone alarm will be as if it was first installed after a database reset with few or no entries.

Findley

Thread Information