Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing Log Viewer horizontal scroll bar

snagglegrain Guest

Default Missing Log Viewer horizontal scroll bar

Since upgrading to ZAP8.0.059.000, I suddenly noticed that I don't have the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the Log Viewer page when I am viewing Alert Type: Program.
    Without the scroll bar,
    no matter how I attempt to adjust the column headers,
    I am
    unable to see any columns on the right side after Action Taken, i.e, Count, Source DNS, Destination DNS, and Policy.
    There literally
    is no horizontal scroll bar.
    There is a vertical scroll bar.

It is worth noting that
    the horizontal scroll bar does appear
    when I switch Alert Type to Firewall or OS Firewall.
    This missing scroll bar is a new development, as it always used to be there prior to upgrading to v8.0.059.000.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

Message Edited by Snagglegrain on 11-26-2008 12:02 AM

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Missing Log Viewer horizontal scroll bar

You should have that scroll bar.<hr>You can...
    Try a database reset first...
    1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot<hr>This will reset your program list, thou. Make notes if you need.

snagglegrain Guest

<blockquote><hr>NaiveMelody wrote:
    You should have that scroll bar.<hr>This will reset your program list, thou. Make notes if you need.<hr></blockquote>Hi NaiveMelody... and thank you for your reply!

I am a bit hesitant to try a database reset, if it is going to change all the program trust levels and access permissions, etc.
    I mean I may do that, but I wanted to double check with you, that you in fact mean the whole list will revert to a default or something?
    And can I upload a couple of screen captures in this forum?
    I can't seem to find the way to do that here.
    Perhaps I can't.
    Edit In:
    Are you aware of anything else, any other configurations, that will change if I do the database reset?

Message Edited by Snagglegrain on 11-26-2008 11:36 PM

naivemelody Guest

Yes, it will be set at default. Side effect. I had to do one my self when I recently upgraded to 8.0.059 - but it isn't to hard to customize. Just remember the important programs and then let the 'smartdefense' fill out the rest. ZoneLabs\UpdClient.exe will give itself all greens and then start filling out most of the list; and then you customize according to taste. A bit of work, but it's all worth it, no other firewall allows you 'such customizations.' :8}<hr>My personal notes -
    just upgraded from 7.0.483 to ZA Pro 8.0.059
    . It seems it took one step up in terms of 'security' so I've been told; but there
    are a few
    step back with: less information and 'silly alert.' There used to be a 'black address bar that will show a current program - 'now connecting' near the bottom and there was four icon boxes near top which showed which first four programs connecting = all usefull info. -now, no more. I prefer the old,former 'naviagtion' tabs - easier to see and read - quickly.

Now, when I put antispyware on 'manual updates' and no 'schedule scanning'
    - you get a 'big' red alert - you are not fully protected. action required... = yeah, right, MY freedom of choice to 'manual' update and manual scanning is now - big red hazardous alert. :0 (they could use a little yellow alert - as my 'choices' does not affect my general security - at all) Anyhow, remember that you will be restarting. Good luck.

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 11-27-2008 11:02 PM

snagglegrain Guest

<blockquote><hr>NaiveMelody wrote:Now, when I put antispyware on 'manual updates' and no 'schedule scanning'
    - you get a 'big' red alert - you are not fully protected. action required... = yeah, right, MY freedom of choice to 'manual' update and manual scanning is now - big red hazardous alert. :0 (they could use a little yellow alert - as my 'choices' does not affect my general security - at all)
    <hr></blockquote>Do I ever agree with that!
    Amen!
    How dumb to be staring at that big red alert, plus it prevents a user from seeing the &quot;See how&quot; link that normally appears if you fix the Anti-spyware red alert.
    Fix it (turn on Anti-spyware for a minute) and look at the top of that page, at the &quot;See how&quot; link.
    You never know it's there if you don't run ZA Anti-spyware.
    Dumb.
    Back to my problem... NaiveMelody, have you come across this particular missing scroll bar problem before in these forums?
    And as for my screen capture question... any way to show them to you, or to post them here?
    Thank you for your help

naivemelody Guest

First time I read about it. But if your curious you can do a 'red box search'
    to see if your the only one.
    Hard to screen capture; but I think some of those 'advanced pc experts' may be able to - me, I don't know. Most images are hard to copy and paste here.
    Edit in - Thanks Snagglegrain,
    I didn't even notice that before -&quot;see how&quot; link. I just upgraded just yesterday thou.
    Sorry about my little rant; just had to 'express myself' for a moment.

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 11-27-2008 12:51 AM

snagglegrain Guest

Edit in - Thanks Snagglegrain,
    I didn't even notice that before -&quot;see how&quot; link. I just upgraded just yesterday thou.
    Sorry about my little rant; just had to 'express myself' for a moment.<hr>'Spress on, NaiveMelody!
    You made good sense to me.
    Hey, take a look at a couple of screenies... you'll see what I am dealing with.
    Hard to figure that the horizontal scroll bar is missing just on the Program alerts window.
    Edit in:
    I thought they pasted okay.

Looks like they didn't make it.
    You're right, it's hard to do here.

Permit me to ask again, do you know if a database reset will alter all settings to default?
    Everything in Firewall and Programs and Identity Protection and on and on?
    If that's the case, I might forego the reset.
    I say might... I used a screen capture program last night to capture a scrolling window... first time I've done that.
    Really neat.
    So I wouldn't have to take a lot of notes (just take a lot of screen captures!).
    Appreciate your input.
    </blockquote>

Message Edited by Snagglegrain on 11-27-2008 08:44 AM

naivemelody Guest

I presume so for all. Any antispy definitions will be retained. So it will be all your decison now.

snagglegrain Guest

I presume so for all. Any antispy definitions will be retained. So it will be all your decison now.<hr>Yes, and if the reset doesn't bring back the scroll bar, I'm looking at uninstall/reinstall.

I have
    viewed those instructions here --&gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...d=19199#M19199 .
    Have you ever uninstalled/reinstalled ZAP while disconnected from the net?
    That seems like a wise thing to do... but ZAP will probably want to connect to the net while installing.
    What says you, NaiveMelody?
    As always, thanks for your assistance.
    </blockquote>

snagglegrain Guest

Hey, I found the answer and the problem is fixed!
    Originally I wrote, &quot;Without the scroll bar,
    no matter how I attempt to adjust the column headers,
    I am
    unable to see any columns on the right side after Action Taken, i.e, Count, Source DNS, Destination DNS, and Policy.
    There literally
    is no horizontal scroll bar.&quot;

I emailed ZoneAlarm technical Support and they wrote back, &quot;With the Scrollbar issue, it will not be available if all the fields can be seen.
    For instance, if you take the side of the window and move it to the left, the scroll bar will again show.&quot;

That got me the scroll bar back, but still I was unable to view any columns to the right of Action Taken, despite how much adjusting I did.
    I wrote back to tech support and they responded, &quot;When I look at the screen shots, I do see that the field after Action Taken is minimized, can you get your double sided arrow to work there and double click?

I am sure you know, and have tried this already but I just need to ask.&quot;

That did the trick!
    I was not double-clicking, I was just dragging the width of the colums.
    Once I double-clicked first, then proceeded to drag the column border, the missing categories miraculously appeared!
    I wanted to report back to you, NaiveMelody, because you were very gracious in your efforts to assist me.
    So, all is well for me with the ZAP Program Log Viewer, once again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information