Thread: Question about ZA Service Agent notice

essentiallysue Guest

Default Question about ZA Service Agent notice

I have Zone Alarm Free and do not wish to upgrade to 8, not even as a trial. But the Zone Alarm Service Agent keeps coming on my screen. It give me no option to refuse it. How can I get rid of it?

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Question about ZA Service Agent notice

In ZA go to > Overview > Preferences > Check for Updates > green dot on "Manually" ; if you want you may restart pc to set it. Alternative:
    a dialogue box may also come with "remind me later" = you have the option to remind 60 days later.

essentiallysue Guest

I have automatically updates, but this one comes and requests my response, so that isn't "automatic". If I put it to "manually", wouldn't it continue to come since it requires me to manually respond?
    Yes, I know I can put it off for 60 days or any other number of days, but it will come back. I just want to be able to remove it from the screen. I can't even see my desktop with it sitting there. I suspect it is because I had purchased Zone Alarm Pro before I went back to the free one. I remember years ago when I had purchased Zone Alarm Pro on an older computer, that this Zone Alarm Service Agent would appear and stay there. I could never get rid of it until I uninstalled the entire program. Can't Zone Alarm give this notice an option to "say no" and accept that?

naivemelody Guest

Well, if you don't want to upgrade automatically to 8.0 and don't want to receive those update reminders; then you should put your 'check for product updates' to 'manually' as I originally described and leave it there, ok. You have a bit of mis-understanding of the process of auto and manual product updates.<hr>Please do as described in orginal post, and then restart pc. Then see if the problem is cleared. If not, do again &quot;Check for product updates: green dot Manually' and this time do this...You can...
    Try a database reset first...
    1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot<hr>This will reset your program list, thou. Make notes if you need.<hr>

essentiallysue Guest

Melody, thank you for your help. I did change the setting to manual, and the Agent Ad did go away. But I have always appreciated Zone Alarm updating itself, so I do not have any worries on Zone Alarm Free. I have used the program for about 6 years and have no other complaints. Now, do I have to look for updates myself to keep the program working as before? Or, if I now put it back to automatic, will the Agent Ad return?

Thread Information