Thread: Windows Security Center shows Zone Alarm Firewall as OFF even though ZASS shows ON.

morey Guest

Default Windows Security Center shows Zone Alarm Firewall as OFF even though ZASS shows ON.

I use Windows XP Home SP3 and I noticed that after the Windows Security Update of today, December 11, 2008, the Windows Security Center shows that Zone Alarm Firewall is OFF even though Zone Alarm Security Suite Version 8.0.059.000 shows it is ON.
    I used the ZASS Verify hot link in the Overview \Main Pane to test it and it shows as ON.
    I looked in Alerts & Logs\Log Viewer and I see the ZASS Firewall rejecting TCP and UDP Protocols so it looks like it is working correctly.
    Has the latest MS Security Patch caused a problem with recognition of ZASS Firewall Status?
    I just sent the
    above message to Check Point for Zone Alarm Technical Support.
    When I disable ZASS and then re-enable it, the Windows Security Center then shows it correctly as ON.
    Its only on bootup that the improper message shows it as OFF.
    I figured out the solution.
    I now manually load ZASS after Windows boots.
    Then the Security Center correctly recognizes ZASS as ON.
    Eveidently, the latest Windows Security Patch altered the detection module for ZASS to a place in the sequence after ZASS would boot.
    Thus, to get the right setup, one must manually load ZASS after Windows boots up entirely.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by morey on 12-11-2008 07:21 AM

Message Edited by morey on 12-11-2008 07:47 AM

Message Edited by morey on 12-11-2008 08:08 AM

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Windows Security Center shows Zone Alarm Firewall as OFF even though ZASS shows ON.

As long as you know your ZA is working - really working - that's what more important.
    On some rare occasions with an update (MS Windows update or ZA upgrade)
    - Windows not recognizing ZA firewall does occur - this is a small OS error/ glitch in recognition - only; your ZA firewall is working properly if you see &quot;All Systems Active&quot; in ZA and operations appear normal.<hr>morey, I've been here for a bit and have seen this happen on my pc and with others -Click here &gt; http://forum.zonealarm.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=15893 - it is easily corrected.
    <hr>Make sure you have ZA settings are correct &gt; Firewall &gt; Main &gt; Advanced &gt; General Settings &gt; green check for box &quot; Disable Windows Firewall&quot; &gt; OK &lt; the box.
    Make sure ZA is allowed to run at start-up &gt; Overview &gt; Preferences &gt; General &gt; green check the box &quot;Load ZoneAlarm at start-up&quot; is on.<hr>

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 12-13-2008 08:57 PM

morey Guest

Default Re: Windows Security Center shows Zone Alarm Firewall as OFF even though ZASS shows ON.

NaiveMelody,

In the Windows Security Center under Windows Firewall the General Pane shows that Windows Firewall is Off.
    However, in ZASS 8.0.059.000 under \Firewall\Main\Advanced there only shows a Security Pane.
    There is an option to Disable Windows Firewall and it is checked.
    In my Alerts and Logs for the Firewall there
    are continuous actions shown of rejection of Medium intrusions.
    In the Overview under Firewall Security it is colored Green and says that Zone Alarm has secured the doors to my PC.
    If I click the Verify Hot Link I get an Internet page saying that I have Secured the Firewall, OSFirewall, Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus. It says I do not have Secure Browsing protected and that I need Force Field for $ 19.95.

Is it possible that lacking Force Field caused the Windows Security Setting to think I do not have Zone Alarm Firewall enabled if I have Zone Alarm start with the bootup?

In any event, starting ZASS manually after the bootup seems to solve the recognition problem.
    It may have some other risk but just operating a PC with or without the Internet has continuous risks.
    We must individually balance our own risks and the costs of preventing those risks.

Thanks for you expert advice.

Message Edited by morey on 12-12-2008 06:50 AM

morey Guest

Naive Melody,
    Checkpoint Technical Support sent me this solution and it worked perfectly.
    I can now have Zone Alarm startup with every boot and Windows Security Center gives it full recognition.
    Here is their excellent solution:

Thank you for contacting ZoneAlarm Technical Support.

I understand the Windows Security Center is stating the ZoneAlarm firewall is off. Please follow the steps below to resolve this issue.

1.) Open ZoneAlarm

2.) Click on Firewall -&gt; Main

3.) Turn the Internet Zone Security and Trusted Zone Security to off

4.) Restart your computer

5.) Turn the Internet Zone Security to High and Trusted Zone Security to Medium

6.) Restart your computer

Since this problem is probably present on everyone's installation of Zone Alarm Security Suite Version 8.0.059.000 combined with Windows XP Home Edition SP3, it may me adviseable to make this solution a sticky so others can find it right away.

naivemelody Guest

morey, thanks for posting back with that solution; interesting.

Thread Information