Thread: Spooler SubSystem App is trying to act as a server

Hybrid View

douglasmartin Guest

Default Spooler SubSystem App is trying to act as a server

Hi,
    I get this message alert nearly every single time I log on to my Laptop, and it's really really annoying, to say the least.
    I run Vista Business, SP1.

Does anyone have any idea why this keeps recurring even though I check the box to 'Remember this setting' (I allow the process)?
    And does anyone know how to remedy this before I do something stupid like remove ZA?

Thanks!

Operating System:Windows Vista Business
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

Default Re: Spooler SubSystem App is trying to act as a server

Is that the Internet Zone server or Trusted Zone server?
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

douglasmartin Guest

Hi, I'm not sure to be honest - the alert box is headed "Server Program" - it does however say in the 'More Information Available' bit say 'this program has previously asked for Internet access'
    Hope this is of use

Check your Logs in the Log Viewer and find out which one.
    Internet server could be unwanted. but trusted server is ok.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

robbroekhuis Guest

I likewise get this alert (along with several others from Windows subsystems) every time I start up my PC. I always have "remember this setting" checked, and when I look at the Programs tab in ZoneAlarm, Spooler Subsystem App has green checkmarks in the first four columns. In my program logs, it shows up with action "allowed/auto". What else can I do to prevent this annoying message from popping up every time? Sometimes it pops underneath an application, but prevents any further internet access until I notice it and acknowledge it.

critterjoe Guest

I see you have tacked your question onto the bottom of a thread from January, but it appears to have worked OK.

One thing you can try is to put red X's in the columns for Internet Server and Trusted Server. If this affects any of your operations, you could always put a ? or checkmark back in Server Trusted and leave a Red X in Server Internet. I have always put 5 ? for spooler and have had no problems, and I don't get any alerts for spooler, but I don't have a printer on the network. If you have a network printer, you *may* have to keep a checkmark or ? in Trusted Server, but can't hurt to try it with a Red X to see; it's always safer to give something less permission and later have to revert than to give it too much permission

When you change these settings manually, it will also change the SmartDefense setting for the one program from Auto to Custom, so hopefully that would prevent the alert. If you don't want to change the settings, you could still change the SmartDefense to custom, and just reinput the setting that were already there; i.e., any manipulation of those columns turns off Auto for that one program. IMO, the Auto of ZA is sometimes too generous in granting Internet Server permissions to programs that don't need them. For the typical Internet user, it is very rare that a program would need Internet Server permission so I don't allow that; that may or may not work for everyone, but it's safer.
    Last edited by critterjoe; October 31st, 2009 at 01:57 AM.

Thread Information