Thread: ZA starts blocking outgoing HTTP and POP packets after "a while".

sgolux Guest

Default ZA starts blocking outgoing HTTP and POP packets after "a while".

Hello.

I am using following ZoneAlarm Firewall product on Windows Vista SP1: 7.1.254.000

When I first start my computer, everything is peachy, and remains so for several hours, and zonealarm acts like I would expect. At a certain point though, it starts to get a little wonky. I will start getting Firewall alerts (NOT program alerts) from ZA saying it is blocking outgoing POP or HTTP packets, and these packets are legitimate packets that are being sent by legitimate and trusted programs. For example, I might hit the "Get Message" button on my Thunderbird email program, and suddenly, after hours of being fine with it, ZA will pop up a firewall alert saying it is blocking the POP packet, and my Thunderbird program will no longer be able to get mail.

I can close Thunderbird and re-open, but that won't help the situation.

The only thing that seems to help is to reboot the computer.

What is going on here? And why?

Please advise.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: ZA starts blocking outgoing HTTP and POP packets after "a while".

Reset the ZA database first:
    [*] Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together[*] Right click on the ZA icon near your clock[*] Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up[*] Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box[*] When prompted, choose OK to restart your system [*] Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

after the reboot, then do this:

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

now try it and see how it works.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

sgolux Guest

Thanks for all this.

In the period between my posting of this thread, and the kind response, ZA pushed me an upgrade, so I am now upgraded to version 8.0.065.000.

Since that upgrade, I have not experienced the problem I outlined... but I have looked over the settings you suggested.

One thing I notice in both versions. My local network adapters (the wired ethernet adapter, and the virtual wireless adapter) are both created automatically by the software as being in the "Internet" zone. Should they not be in the "Trusted" zone? Just curious....

Often the upgrade is an uninstall and install and this removes the previous settings and then the ZA is bascially starting off fresh.
    So if something was previously misconfigured, the upgrade often solves the problem(s).

Internet or trusted zone is the question.
    hmmm.
    Is this a desktop at home/business (trusted) behind a secured router (or a NAT enabled modem) on a secured network "OR" is this a travelling laptop/netbook (then internet) we are talking about?
    Simple answer depends on whether the LAN is really trustworthy or not.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

sgolux Guest

This problem has started up again, now in the version 8 branch of ZA.

My version of ZA updated in the last day or two, and now after a while, all HTTP packets are blocked. POP packets seem to be OK.

As before, when I reboot, everything seems fine for a while. I use firefox as a browser typically. After some agressive use of firefox, suddenly no more HTTP traffic is allowed, one way or the other. I can close firefox and re-open, but it doesn't help. I can open Internet Explorer, and still HTTP traffic is blocked. If I shutdown ZA, the problem persists. The only thing I seem to be able to do is uninstall. I tried doing that and a completely brand new reinstall, but that didn't solve the problem.

So..... anyone else with this?

Thread Information