Thread: Malicious or OK?

Hybrid View

crustycrab Guest

Default Malicious or OK?

I keep getting alerts that say something to the effect that Host Services for Win32 wants to act as a server and connect to or accept connections from the internet.
    However, I cannot tell which program is seeking access.
    I've had ZA a long time and this is somewhat new.
    Good?
    Bad?
    OK?
    How can I tell what app. is
    seeking
    access????
    XP Home using both IE and Firefox.
    Thanks so much.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services- Safe

You need this process. You should put:Trust Level-
    three green bars,
    Access - two green checks,
    Server - Trust - one green check, Internet - red X,
    Mail -red X.<hr>Click here &gt; http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=145
    NOTE: Make sure all of the following Programs have Trusted and Internet access (2 Green Check Marks):
    a.) All Microsoft and Windows Programs have Green Check marks for Trusted and Internet Access..b.) Generic Host Process for win32 Services (svchost.exe) also allow Trusted Server Rightsc.) IE Crash Detectiond.) Internet Explorer or FireFoxe.) Malicious Software Removal Toolf.) True Vector Service
    (If it is listed)g.) Zone Alarm Clienth.) Zone Alarm Updating Clienti.) Your Email Client needs Trusted, Internet access
    and Send Mail all need Green check Marks..<hr>What is generic host process - click here &gt; http://www.computing.net/answers/sec...vices/272.html<hr>and here &gt; http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/lofi...hp/t70581.html<hr>here &gt; http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q314056<hr>svchost.exe is a program that would have arrived on your computer the day you purchased it. Always verify the exact disk location as shown below, since many spyware and virus writers attempt to fool you by using similiar or same names but locate the file in other folders. Svchost.exe is a program which is a critical windows program which monitors programs, manages dll's, and controls loading of system processes. You will find multiple occurances of this running. This will always be running and you cannot kill this task. This svchost.exe file is considered safe and is not spyware or virus related, however, make sure the file is not located at c:\svchost.exe, as many viruses and spyware programs have used this name to confuse you, and several viruses put this svchost name in your root directory which is not the proper location for this file. Also pay close attention that svchost is not spelled scvhost, as these are not the same but look so close its hard to notice!

What is the svchost.exe location, where is it stored on my computer?
    This program is located in your Windows\system32 folder, as in %SystemRoot%\System32\svchost.exe<hr>svchost.exe should not be disabled, required for essential applications to work properly..<hr>

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 02-06-2009 08:28 PM

crustycrab Guest

Default Re: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services- Malicious or OK? - OK

Thanks.
    But where do I enter these settings?
    I don't see anything like that in ZA.
    Also, in task mgr there are 4 svchost.exe's running.
    One for local service, one for network service and two for system.
    Is that right?
    Is there any way to tell what is accessing the internet or what the internet is accessing on my computer?
    The &quot;id&quot; section on my ZA pop up alert says &quot;none.&quot;
    Some people seem to say it's harmless and some say it's dangerous????

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Right click your ZA tray icon &gt; Restore ZoneAlarm &quot;___ &quot; Control Center.Left tabs &gt; Program Control &gt; Programs. Tell me this isn't the first time you've seen this.
    Click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...=108647#M24892
    &lt; the image of program control.It will look something like this... (but not exactly) [from old 7.0 Free versions]<hr>You can adjust your settings for svchost.exe as described earlier by me. Please click on the &quot; ? Help&quot; on the lower left of this page= this is your User Guide &lt;&gt; please read thru.<hr>4 svchost.exe running is normal. I have 6. Want to know what's running, well if you had clicked on to the third link from micosoft that I had in previous post, it can give you a good idea what it was and you can look at your logs entires. That is why the links are there; if you looked. And the two other links explained what svchost.exe is. Click on...

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 02-03-2009 10:28 PM

crustycrab Guest

Default Re: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Thank You Very Much
    I have adjusted that setting as you recommended. I have never had reason to adjust my program settings (that I know of) so I had never been there. Anything else I should adjust?
    I also read all the readings you suggested and had already seen two of them in my quest to resolve this issue.

Thread Information