Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check for Update dialog keeps popping up

snagglegrain Guest

Default Check for Update dialog keeps popping up

Hello
    I just upgraded
    from ZAP 8.0.059.000
    to
    Problem I am experiencing is the Check for Update dialog ("The product identification for your current copy of ZAP is ready to be sent to ZA to see if you have the latest version&quot
    keeps popping up asking me to Send or Do not send.

It matters not which choice
    I select, the dialog will return again.
    I've seen this pop up at least a dozen times since upgrading yesterday.
    I have selected the Manual method of checking for updates (my preference), and this is exactly the way I have had it set for the last (at least) half dozen versions of ZAP.
    I have never received these nagging dialogs
    that don't seem to process whichever answer I give them.
    I suppose I could select the "Do not show me this again", but that seems to correlate with the Automatic product update choice.
    If I select "Do not show me this again", will
    "product identification" info be sent automatically?
    If this is not normal behavior, does anyone know a reg edit I can check, in case there is a wrong value entered somewhere, or something I can change to make the pop up stop?
    This isn't a major hassle, but it is an annoyance, and it isn't something that was happening prior to upgrading to 8.0.298.000.
    Thank you for any assistance.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

Message Edited by Snagglegrain on 02-27-2009 05:17 PM

Charles_B Guest

Default Re: Check for Update dialog keeps popping up

You could try this.When Service Agent pop-up, tick "Remind me later" and select 60 days and click OK.
    Under Overview\Preference look under Contact with Zonealarm.You can tick or untick Alert me with a pop-up before I make contact.Click "Exceptions" for detail info.

snagglegrain Guest

Hi Charles_B and thanks for the reply.
    Since posting about this little issue, it hasn't happened again.
    Maybe posting about it has fixed it!
    (Wouldn't that be nice if it worked that way?)
    I have read your suggestions carefully but still conclude that something is amiss, since I have chosen to update manually but the Check for Update pop up keeps appearing.
    Unless someone can tell me otherwise, I believe that this pop up is a function of the Automatic update check method.
    For example, if I preferred to check automatically, I would select that method in Preferences, then when this pop up appeared, I'd select "Send" and "Don't show this to me again".
    For now, I'll just bide my time and see if/when the dialog shows up again.

Charles_B Guest

You're Welcome

BTW, If your issue is not settle conclusively you can always send tech support ticket to address your issue.

snagglegrain Guest

Do I send tech support a ticket by logging in to My Account, then accessing
    Support Center Knowledge Base?
    I seem to recall that that process eventually leads to a prompt to open a ticket if no answer is found.
    Thanks for your help.

Charles_B Guest

For Customer Service for issues such as License Keys, premature expiration of license etc.
    www.zonelabs.com/csform

Have a problem running the program and need more assistance than the forum can supply...
    www.zonelabs.com/tsform

Have a nice Day.

snagglegrain Guest

<blockquote><hr>Charles_B wrote:
    You could try this.When Service Agent pop-up, tick &quot;Remind me later&quot; and select 60 days and click OK.
    <hr>FYI,
    &quot;Remind me later&quot;
    is not an option on the dialog that pops up.

Only three choices appear...
    &quot;Do not send&quot;, &quot;Send&quot;,
    and &quot;Don't alert me the next time I am about to send this information to ZoneAlarm&quot;.
    FWIW, both of my machines were displaying this &quot;Check for update&quot; dialog when I woke up this morning.
    It
    sure seems like there is a reg edit I could perform, alot like a nag or splash
    screen reg edit.
    Again, this only started when I upgraded to 8.0.298.000.
    Thanks for your interest!</blockquote>

snagglegrain Guest

Thought I'd report back with the solution.

Tech support responded...
    &quot;If I understand you correctly, you keep getting a 'check for updates' pop-up message asking to 'Send' or 'Do not Send'.

Please check the following setting in ZoneAlarm:

- Open ZoneAlarm
    - Click Overview at the top left
    - Choose the Preferences tab
    - Under 'Contact with ZomeAlarm', removed the check from the box that says &quot;Alert me with a pop-up before I make contact&quot;.

Embarrassingly simple, I must admit.

But a welcome relief!
    Thanks for your efforts to assist.
    I appreciate it.

mad_clown Guest

But does this mean it's automatically 'sending' now behind your back if it's unchecked?

snagglegrain Guest

<blockquote><hr>Mad_Clown wrote:
    But does this mean it's automatically 'sending' now behind your back if it's unchecked?
    <hr></blockquote>My understanding is that it does not, predicated on how I have it configured.
    My understanding could be wrong, however.
    It seems logical that if ZAP keeps feeding a user that pop-up, that it wants to make contact.
    I believe it is an area that could use more enlightening.
    From the Setting contact preferences section of the ZoneAlarm Help System...<a target="_blank"></a><div class="pCellBody">
    <div class="pCellBody">"Alert me with a pop-up before I make contact <a target="_blank"></a><div class="pCellBody">Displays a warning before contacting ZoneAlarm to deliver registration information, get product updates, research an alert, or access DNS to look up IP addresses.<a target="_blank"></a><div class="pCellBody">Note: There are certain situations in which you will not be notified before contact is made. Those include sending DefenseNet data to ZoneAlarm, contacting ZoneAlarm for program advice, when an anti-virus update is performed, or when monitoring your anti-virus status. The 'Share setting anonymously...' setting below, turns off the DefenseNet transfer. All other settings can be disabled from the main panel of their respective panels.&quot;

BWDIK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information