Thread: Windows Vista update locks up while Zone Alarm is installed

rratney Guest

Default Windows Vista update locks up while Zone Alarm is installed

Windows Vista update locked up and had to be closed with the task manager, so based on earlier advice from Microsoft, I uninstalled Zone Alarm and voila, the update worked. I downloaded the latest version of Zone Alarm which allowed Windows update to run ONCE but subsequently, the Windows update locked up again. Is it possible to keep Zone Alarm running and run Windows update?

Ron Ratney

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

kwsim Guest

Default Re: Windows Vista update locks up while Zone Alarm is installed

I am having the same problem. I have ZA version 8.0.298.035. I had to recover from a past image. Once the computer starts up from my image recovery I am able to open the update window and see the latest updates I need. However after the computer starts up I see ZA doing an update and after that I can no longer access my update window. It just sits there blank, (not responding).

kwsim Guest

Definitely ZA causing the issue. As soon as I uninstalled it an restarted the Vista Ultimate SP1
    Windows Updates started working. Looks like I am going to go back to Symantics for my firewall needs. I have been watching this thread for the past two weeks with no answers as how to fix this issue. LATE ZA!

coisa Guest

Windows Update aka Vista Update and Microsoft Media Center Guide Update do not work with ZoneAlarm Extreme 8.298.035. The software is fully licensed.

I have been having this problem since I 1st installed the software on or about May 4th.

I have 2 HP Pavilions, Vista Home Premium SP1 with all current Windows updates, both demonstrate the same behavior
    To get the updates I have to
    1. Open ZA and take off 'start at update'
    2. Open MSconfig; mark ForceField and VSMON services as not to load at update
    3. Reboot and do Windows Update and Media Center update manually.
    4. Turn on 'load at start' and MSCONFIG VSMON and ForceField
    5. Reboot

Vista Update aka Windows Update and Media Center update works at 1st retry. Later stops working later and stay not working.

I have tried everything suggested on this forum, by live chat tech support including:
    Uninstall and Reinstall ZA
    Clearing program control and letting it repopulate
    Giving super trusted rights and internet and acress rights to all microsoft programs
    and many many more things
    I am and IT professional and have spent DAYS trying to solve this problem

I suggest everyone having update issues open an Email tech support 'ticket' http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...rvice-form.htm

notvalid Guest

I did as you suggested .... un-installed ZoneAlarm (I'm using the ZoneAlarm Security Suite), did all the Windows Vista / Windows Defender / MS Office / MS Works updates, and then re-installed the ZoneAlarm Security Suite. Worked well: un-installing and re-installing ZoneAlarm went well, and was done via the Windows Control Panel / UnInstall A Program feature. Not a very elegant solution, but it works.

Thread Information