Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KB956572 and install problems

simpletonx Guest

Default Re: KB956572 and install problems

Looks like latest definitions solved the false positive problem. In order to fix the Windows Update problem
    manually download and install the KB956572 patch from the microsoft site, I just did it, rebooted
    and now everything seems to work fine.

ndf Guest

<blockquote><hr>simpletonX wrote:
    Looks like latest definitions solved the false positive problem. In order to fix the Windows Update problem
    manually download and install the KB956572 patch from the microsoft site, I just did it, rebooted
    and now everything seems to work fine.
    <hr></blockquote>

I installed the KB956572 patch directly from the Windows site. But I had to turn off my antivirus to do it, and I'm still getting an automatic download saying that this hotfix still needs to be installed...

diligent Guest

Default Re: KB956572 and install problems --> Please report false positive

@ GMichaels Good analysis. Something is up for sure!

patchworkquilt Guest

I have ZoneAlarm Security Suite and Windows XP. ZoneAlarm identified Windows Security Update KB956572 as a Virus Backdoor Win32.Agent.afqs

After going to the MS site to make sure this was a valid update, I took a very low-tech approach that (THANKFULLY) allowed me to finally install this update.

1. I disconnected my connection to the Internet
    2. I shut down ZoneAlarm
    3. I installed the Update
    4. Rebooted

It worked. I've used ZoneAlarm for over 4 years and I'm very satisfied with the product, but they need to react faster when stuff like this happens.

gelert Guest

Default Re: KB956572 and install problems --> Please report false positive

Thanks people - allegedly the issue is now
    resolved:
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=5753
    I'll try again and see if I'm out-of-the-woods.
    Only happened to me on one-out-of-three PCs - weird...! But the &quot;one&quot; is
    my GF's Dell....

Next time I'll report the issue as an FP, as Fax advised.
    *EDIT* NFG I'm afraid - in the end I had to get a very nice gentleman from MicroSoft to take control of the offending PC (his idea, NOT mine..!).He uploaded a batch-file to this PC which destroyed any previous references to KB956572 - even tho' I thought that I'd already done that, but I obviously hadn't...! 45 minutes later and the offending KB doo-dah was installed.
    Ah well - it might have been a ZASS problem that caused the initial failed install - but it wasn't a ZASS problem that perpetuated the issue.
    GF's Dell now as happy as a Dell can be - LOL

Message Edited by gelert on 04-22-2009 07:34 PM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information