Thread: Zone Alarm, Norton, and Windows

paulinem Guest

Default Zone Alarm, Norton, and Windows

Recently updated ZA Pro 80.298.000.
    (I am using Windows XP, sp3.)
    I notice that
    Windows Sec. Ctr. gives msg. "The Security Center is currently unavailable because Sec. Ctr. service has not started or was stopped...."
    Also, Norton AV gives warning "advanced firewall at risk."

It seems that
    Windows and Norton
    do not recognize
    ZA which is is functioning all systems.

I can live with the Norton warning but just wondered if there's someway Windows and/or Norton
    can recognize ZA firewall and I can get rid of this pesky Norton red X.
    A bit of irony, now Norton wants me to update.

anyone have same problem?
    Pauline

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:6.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

paulinem Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm, Norton, and Windows

Most of you have probably figured this out but for the few like me, to reactivate Windows Security Services, click Start, click Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click "OK".
    Double click the service "Security Center", click on "General" tab; make sure "StartupType" is "Automatic" or "Manual", then click "Start" button under "Service Status" to start the service.
    I believe the service was disabled
    when I updated ZA, though I'm not sure.
    Anyway, all's well, Norton AV shows green, no more warning.
    I do turn my Windows firewall off when ZA
    firewall is running.
    And my thanks to the MS tech who helped me out.

Default Re: Zone Alarm, Norton, and Windows

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>PaulineM wrote:
    Most of you have probably figured this out but for the few like me, to reactivate Windows Security Services, click Start, click Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click "OK". Double click the service "Security Center", click on "General" tab; make sure "StartupType" is "Automatic" or "Manual", then click "Start" button under "Service Status" to start the service. I believe the service was disabledwhen I updated ZA, though I'm not sure. Anyway, all's well, Norton AV shows green, no more warning. I do turn my Windows firewall off when ZAfirewall is running. And my thanks to the MS tech who helped me out.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>1.) It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,
    there are several knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..Please provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your ComputerMonitor.

===============================================

2.) have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154. Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product. <HR>

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. <HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two Anti-virus products at the same time.

==================

If you have ZA Anti-Virus, ZA Suite or ZA Extreme intalled..NOTICE:Please note that ZASS and ZAXdo not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled). To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAX issues removethe other Security programsand install them back once you see that ZA works as it should. For example,Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotS&amp;D, PC tools Threat Fire, any otherAnti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information