Thread: Vsdatant.sys, DVD burner, BSOD

hedera Guest

Default Vsdatant.sys, DVD burner, BSOD

I'm running ZAISS 8.0.298.035 on Windows XP Pro SP2; the box is about 4 years old. It came from Dell with a program called Sonic RecordNow Plus, which you're supposed to be able to use to burn CDs; the machine has a CD reader and a CD/DVD burner. I don't burn stuff very often but today I needed to burn a bunch of JPGs to a CD for a friend. Since the RecordNow Plus software is useless for anything except music files, I used the Windows menus like so:

1.Put blank CD in burner
    2.Open My Computer, right click on burner and Format
    3.Copy photos to formatted CD
    4.Back to My Computer, right click on burner and choose Make Compatible

At the end of the Make Compatible process, 2 things happen: (a) the DVD burner spits out the (usable) disk; (b) my computer blue-screens. A typical stop code (this has now happened 3 times) looks like this:

Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 806e494f, parameter3 ba527c30, parameter4 ba52792c.

Trust me, we'll get to ZA. I spent far too many hours on the phone with Dell support today; and the last guy installed and ran the Dell Crash Analysis Tool, which looks for drivers that have been involved in the recent crash. The tool turned up two files, one of which I didn't write down (ts???.sys) which belonged to the Sonic product, and which he deleted. The other suspect driver was vsdatant.sys. I refused to let him delete it because I was afraid it would cripple my firewall. A brief search indicates that some people have had BSOD associated with vsdatant.sys, but no mention of a DVD burner. I haven't (yet today) got a Blue Screen of Death when NOT using the DVD burner.

Do I need to reinstall ZAISS? Is there some way to tell if the vsdatant.sys file is corrupt?? My copy of vsdatant.sys is dated 3/31/2009 7:20 PM. Do I need to get a newer one?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Vsdatant.sys, DVD burner, BSOD

<blockquote><hr>hedera wrote:
    I'm running ZAISS 8.0.298.035 on Windows XP Pro SP2; the box is about 4 years old. It came from Dell with a program called Sonic RecordNow Plus, which you're supposed to be able to use to burn CDs; the machine has a CD reader and a CD/DVD burner. I don't burn stuff very often but today I needed to burn a bunch of JPGs to a CD for a friend. Since the RecordNow Plus software is useless for anything except music files, I used the Windows menus like so:

1.Put blank CD in burner
    2.Open My Computer, right click on burner and Format
    3.Copy photos to formatted CD
    4.Back to My Computer, right click on burner and choose Make Compatible

At the end of the Make Compatible process, 2 things happen: (a) the DVD burner spits out the (usable) disk; (b) my computer blue-screens. A typical stop code (this has now happened 3 times) looks like this:

Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 806e494f, parameter3 ba527c30, parameter4 ba52792c.

Trust me, we'll get to ZA. I spent far too many hours on the phone with Dell support today; and the last guy installed and ran the Dell Crash Analysis Tool, which looks for drivers that have been involved in the recent crash. The tool turned up two files, one of which I didn't write down (ts???.sys) which belonged to the Sonic product, and which he deleted. The other suspect driver was vsdatant.sys. I refused to let him delete it because I was afraid it would cripple my firewall. A brief search indicates that some people have had BSOD associated with vsdatant.sys, but no mention of a DVD burner. I haven't (yet today) got a Blue Screen of Death when NOT using the DVD burner.

Do I need to reinstall ZAISS? Is there some way to tell if the vsdatant.sys file is corrupt?? My copy of vsdatant.sys is dated 3/31/2009 7:20 PM. Do I need to get a newer one?

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

It is not unusual for sonic to create problems.

Please report the possible za suspect bsod to ZA technical support:

http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...bsodcrash.html

and the free technical support (by email) is here:

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...pport-form.htm

You maybe asked for the ZA's tvdebug files and the windows dump file.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

hedera Guest

Oldsod, thanks for the guidance and ESPECIALLY thanks for the link to the new location of the tech support form. I had the old one bookmarked but they moved it. I'll open a ticket right away.

You are welcome!
    They get tricky at ZA and keep moving around the links, so adding in the extra tech support was indeed a good idea!
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information