Thread: log says thunderbird or firefox trying to connect to blocked sites

mariko57 Guest

Default log says thunderbird or firefox trying to connect to blocked sites

A few months, I noticed the ZAP log indicating (Mozilla) Thunderbird was trying to connect to a web site that I had put in the "blocked" zone in the Firewall section. Thinking this was spyware/virus, I used several different programs to root out the problem but no luck. I also posted this problem at Mozilla but the readers there thought it was a ZAP problem. So, last week, I reformatted my hard-drive, reinstalled only commercial software (ie, nothing downloaded from Web) except for Thunderbird and Firefox. Still, the ZAP log indicates Thunderbird and Firefox trying to access this blocked web site! Suspicious, I tried an experiment and added www.abcnews.com to the blocked zone. And again, the log indicated Thunderbird and Firefox trying to connect to this site. Indeed, any web site I put in the Firewall section of ZAP and mark as "Block," the log indicates Thunderbird or Firefox trying to access this site.

This strikes me as strange since I can't imagine how either of these two programs would know what sites I tell ZAP to "Block." So, I'm thinking this is a bug or something strange going on with ZAP, and not with
    the Mozilla products.

Any guesses? Thanks.

ZAP 6.0667
    Windows XP Home
    Dell Dimension 4500
    AVG Anti-virus

Note: I had originally posted this as this:
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ariko57#M10371

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

misterweather Guest

Default Re: log says thunderbird or firefox trying to connect to blocked sites

GreetingsI too have seem similar behavior with several core WinXp apps - from the obvious IE to explorer, winlogin.exe and svchost.exe! I was looking on the MS Forums and no answers were there either. Several folk suggested running additional antivirus and spyware programs.I've regularly run Adaware, Spybot and have Spywareblaster and McAfee v10resident. Also, I run TrojunHunter, the MS AntiSpyware (Beta) and Spyware Doctor. All report negative for virus, trojans, etc. Also, I've placed sites in the blocked list and sure enough, the above named XP programs try hitting them as well.Anyone else? Any ideas? TIA!MisterWeatherZAP 6.1.737.000WinXp SP2 with all the fixinsHome built P4 1.7G w/1g RAM

misterweather Guest

Default Re: log says thunderbird or firefox trying to connect to blocked sites

Greetings againI forgot to mention I'd also posted a similar message in August 2005 underhttp://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b....id=6165#M6165MisterWeather

Thread Information