Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IE quits working after a while

slemaker Guest

Default Re: IE quits working after a while

I just experienced the failure. I shut IE down and restarted it - still failed. Without shutting IE down, I added the three DNS's to the "trusted" zone andclicked apply. Still no go. Then I shut down both IE and ZAISS, restarted both, and all is now fine. So, the problem is not fixed by adding the DNS's to ZA's trusted zone.

meriam Guest

I find this discussion a bit off-putting. Many of us don't monkey with our computers; we just want them running right and it is up to the Zone Alarm folks to fix this bug. We are not technicians and should not have to screw around with our setting just to make this program operate properly. I will permanently disable and uninstall this program (and not recommend it to anyone else) unless the people responsible fix it.

slemaker Guest

Unfortunately, I agree. I'm approaching the end of my 30-day warranty period and I insist that this thing work properly for a minimum of one week or it's out of here. I'm trying ZoneAlarm because I read some good reviews of it and to replace Norton Internet Security 2005 which had OTHER problems (Diskeeper, for one, quit working with NIS 2005 after about a month). These securitythings seem to self-corrupt over time.Admittedly securityis a tough job because the utility must interface with the op sys at a very low level and must make changes to the op sys's normal data and messaging pathways. But that's all the more reason why VERY thorough testing is needed before the program is released. This, I think, is a VERY strong argument for these functions being integrated into the op sys by Microsoft - regardless ofhow you may feel about Microsoft.I also submitted this issue as a trouble report to ZoneLabs but have not yet had a response. I'll report their response when I receive it.

flyyourway Guest

Hey Mr. Bill, you are right,but its because most just give a detailed explanation of how to resolve the issue that most will never use the search feature,I do understand your point very well,I used to explain the same thing over and over to most that came and required help.But we cant treat everyone that comes to ask a question as a child,most will know how to accomplish these tasks,if they don't most just ask anyhow.I also strongly believe if you guru ask the moderator to actually place some of these helpful posts of past and present into theHelpful Hints & Links section,and you guys maintain it,it will be easier for most helpful users to direct another user into that part of the forum to read posts that will help him resolve his/her issue's.I strongly believe that the /clean and manual uninstall directions should be posted in that section,then there are many other posts that need to be placed there so they are readily available to the users here in this community,maybe you can post a link to this post behind the scenes and ask opinions from the other guru and maybe the Moderator will then allow you guys access onto these out of date boards,and actually place useful posts there.

mesozone Guest

I had a connectivity problem after I updated ZoneAlarm. Several applications (IE, Windows Media Player, error reporting, etc) would try to access the internet and couldn't. I searched this forum and found the solution (adding DNS and DHCP IP's to the trusted zone) and haven't had any problems since. Obviously this should have been done on installation so hopefully this issue will be resolved with the next version. Thanks. :manhappy:

slemaker Guest

I'm glad that worked for you. My problem is obviously different because that fixdid not cure mine. Mine is unusual in that everything works fine for a while then abruptly the browser fails. It is obvious that it is ZAISS itself which is hung when this occurs because normallyI get an alert pop-up when I initiate a jump to a new site, but when the failure occurs I get no such pop-up. If I shut ZAISS down (with IE still displayiing the error page) then restart it and refresh the browser page, the alert pop-up appears and the browser page displays properly.

jimcheval Guest

First of all, thanks for giving the instructions. It would be a real nuisance to search around looking for them. (And I'm fairly technical, and good with search tools,)I've made the IP adjustment and so far it works. Here's the problem: I'm on AOL, and as far as I know, my IP will change the next time I log on. No? So that might explain why the solution doesn't work for everyone.I also agree with the poster who says this kind of adjustment shouldn't be necessary, not for a consumer level product. At the very least, there should be a big fat warning at installation that you might need to make some adjustments or you'll lose access to key sites.Your average consumer will just get frustrated and turn the thing off. Free or not.

meriam Guest

<blockquote><hr>slemaker wrote:
    I'm glad that worked for you. My problem is obviously different because that fix did not cure mine. Mine is unusual in that everything works fine for a while then abruptly the browser fails. It is obvious that it is ZAISS itself which is hung when this occurs because normally I get an alert pop-up when I initiate a jump to a new site, but when the failure occurs I get no such pop-up. If I shut ZAISS down (with IE still displayiing the error page) then restart it and refresh the browser page, the alert pop-up appears and the browser page displays properly.
    <hr></blockquote>

It seems that as of this morning's updated ZA program, all is working properly. For now. If my IE6 browser or FireFox browser once again exhibits the same behavior yours does and mine has done, I WILL remove the program and uninstall it.

jimcheval Guest

Default What update this morning? Where?

WHAT update this morning? I looked around, saw no notice of a change.Was this clearly announced anywhere, or is it buried in a message I haven't read?

meriam Guest

Default Re: What update this morning? Where?

<blockquote><hr>jimcheval wrote:
    WHAT update this morning? I looked around, saw no notice of a change. Was this clearly announced anywhere, or is it buried in a message I haven't read?
    <hr></blockquote>

When I booted up there was a Zone Alarm update. Could I have been the only one to get it?

Also, the problem is still there. Turns out that even though IE was off and the screen-saver on, my always-on connection seems to be the culprit because for some reason, the same problem is back. IE will not load pages or loading in painfully slow even with my ADSL. The moment I disabled Zone Alarm, the problem vanishes.

It's clear that whatever the "update" was this morning doesn't help the problem. Zone Alarm has 24 hours to rectify this problem or it's history and I'll go back to using SpyBot and will find another firewall program that does work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information