Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE quits working after a while

Hybrid View

slemaker Guest

Default IE quits working after a while

Internet Explorer works fine for some time (hours) but eventually, in response to an attempt to connect to a different site, I get the "unable to access" error page and I'm unable to accessany site, including sites that I just accessed a short time previously. I terminate and then restart IE, but I'm still unable to access any site. But if I terminate IE,shut downZoneAlarm ISS, then restart IE, it again works fine. I can then restart ZAISS and IE still works fine, at least for a while. (Version of my ZAISS is 6.1, incidentally, not 6.0)

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

flyyourway Guest

Default Re: IE quits working after a while

Try adding dns & dhcp servers of the computer to the zonealarm trusted zone.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>FlyYourWay wrote:
    Try adding dns &amp; dhcp servers of the computer to the zonealarm trusted zone.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Maybe you could stop to give instructions. Let's not forget that most of them do not know how to do so.<HR>1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall&gt;Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it.<HR>

slemaker Guest

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I can't predict when the problem will arise. What I shall do is wait until it does occur and then, at that time, enter the two IP addresses into the "trusted" zone and see if the problem disappears. I will try this and I do thank you for the suggestions, but, to be frank, I'm a bit skeptical that it will do the trick. After all, IE is working right now and has been ok for a while. If ZA considered my ISP's DNS (or, less likely, DHCP) server to be suspect, why wouldn't it complain right now? And why would it simply block access rather than issue me an alert?Best regards,CS

You may be losing your IP address. Most ISPs use DHCP to assign IP addresses. Many also send a heartbeat to see if you are still connected. If these are being blocked, you should see them in your Alerts.

slemaker Guest

I don't remember the specific details, but several years ago I had a DHCP problem. The algorithm used by my ISP had a known hand-shaking problem resulting in a timeout at my system and a lease-renewal failure. This resulted in a warning entry in my event log. There have been no such log entries with my current problem however. But the next time the problem occurs I will use IPCONFIG to check the latest renewal time.Thanks.

slemaker Guest

PS: Another thing I just remembered about the DHCP problem I experienced years ago is that when the address lease renewal failed, my system simply retained and continued to use the previous address. (Checking over time, I found that my assigned address rarely, if ever, changed.)

slemaker Guest

PPS: As an experiment, I put all three of my ISP's DNS's into my blocked zone and, sure enough, I couldn't access any Web site. Furthermore, there were no error or warning entries in the event log. What was unexpected, however, was that after I deleted these three entries from the firewall "Zones" list and clicked "apply", I STILL was unable to access any Web site. Then I shut IE down and restarted it and - still no access. Finally, I shut ZAISS down completely and again restarted IE. It was then OK and remained OK after restarting ZAISS.My best guess at this time is that the problem (which has not yet reoccurred, incidentally) is within ZAISS itself or in the interface(s) with the OS.

slemaker Guest

I just experienced the failure. I shut IE down and restarted it - still failed. Without shutting IE down, I added the three DNS's to the "trusted" zone andclicked apply. Still no go. Then I shut down both IE and ZAISS, restarted both, and all is now fine. So, the problem is not fixed by adding the DNS's to ZA's trusted zone.

flyyourway Guest

Chiawakian on the attack . Hey Guru you may have to give some people credit as allot of them may be well aware of how to do allot of things that do not need to be explained over and over on this forum,then there is also a SEARCH feature within this forum that most never utilize,so at times giving vague instructions actually makes the user do some of the homework themselves,and if they really dont know how to acomplish the task,I believe their pride wont hurt them to ask for detailed instructions dont you think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information