Thread: Bittorrent access problem

zadude Guest

Default Bittorrent access problem

I am using a bittorrent client by the name of Azureus and have it listening on port 7000. I told zone alarm to allow traffic on this port and even added an expert rule allowing TCP and UDP to incoming port 7000 but yet Zone Alarm insists on blocking traffic seeing it as a port scan. Is there a solution to this?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

unhappy_viewer Guest

Default Re: Bittorrent access problem

Have you given Sun's Java software (javaw.exe) server rights to the internet zone? That is actually the active program for Azureus, not Azureus.exe. That is enough for Azureues to accept connections without the hassle of using expert rules.

Secondly, are you behind a router or modem that does NAT? They are in essence a hardware firewall. If you have one, you will need to foward the appropriate port to your computer too.

Message Edited by unhappy_viewer on 12-02-2005 08:30 PM

zadude Guest

Okay. I'm gonna add a little more detail about my network setup. javaw.exe has full rights, the only thing denied is to send e-mail. Added on to that I added an expert rule cause I noticed that Zone Alarm was still blocking hosts it thought were port scanning. My router has the port forwarded, I used Agnitum's Outpost Pro firewall for a while and I had no problems with this but I stopped using it for another reason. The problem here is Zone Alarm is thinking people rapidly connecting and disconnecting to my port for Bittorrent are port scanning and then blocks them which gives me bad status in the bittorrent community.

unhappy_viewer Guest

Ok trying removing both the Java entry and Azureus.exe from ZA. Open up Azureus. ZA will prompt you to give permission, do so and see if it works now.

If it doesn't, what you can do is to shut down ZA(right click the system tray icon and select "Shutdown ZA"). See if you pass the test with your router only.

Thread Information