Thread: Can't access any websites after running anti-spyware

jinman Guest

Default Can't access any websites after running anti-spyware

Hi,I downloaded the latest update of Zone Alarm (Free) and am using the 15 day trial of Zone Alarm Pro. It ran the anti-spyware and it deleted spyware I had on my computer. After it had deleted the spyware I cannot access any website at all such as google or BBC. I get a DNS error message that "it cannot connect and the page cannot be displayed....." I've checked winipcfg and my internet connection is still live.I've read through some of the other threads about adding the IP addresses of the DNS and DHCP to the trusted zoneAnd seeing if GWPWin32 (svchost.exe) has full access to both trusted and internet.Would that be a good place to begin?Any help gratefully received.I'm running Windows98

Operating System:Windows 98-SE (Second Edition)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

Message Edited by jinman on 12-02-200502:11 PM

Operating System:Windows 98 (original)

Message Edited by jinman on 12-02-200502:15 PM

Message Edited by jinman on 12-02-2005 02:16 PM

Operating System:Windows 98 (original)

billc Guest

Default Re: Can't access any websites after running anti-spyware

I'm not sure why running the spyware scan would cause you to lose your connection, but changing from ZA free to the ZAP trial could screw up your database. It is true that you should have your DNS & DHCP server IP's in the Trusted zone and grant GHP 'access' in both zones and server rights to the Trusted zone Here's how you can find your DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it..

If that does not work, then reset your database because it is likely corrupt. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

jinman Guest

Hi,I tried ipconfig/all and there was no DNS Server listed.If I try looking in winipcfg I can get the DNS Server from there, but if its not in ipconfig/all does that indicate a problem?Thanks for your efforts

Message Edited by jinman on 12-05-2005 08:56 AM

billc Guest

I think not. Did you get it to work ok now?

Thread Information