Thread: ZA Pro Auto Internet connection issue

Hybrid View

petefeth Guest

Default ZA Pro Auto Internet connection issue

I an using ZA Pro V 6.0.631.003 and at random intervals it will open my internet connection an connect but doesnt seem to go anywhere. It doesn't open my browser (Firefox, but does it with IE as well), it just connects. I know it's ZA doing it because when I shut down ZA My PC is fine. As soon as I start ZA again, at completely random intervals it will connect. This is driving me nuts! Also is there a way to stop ZA from automatically downloading updates? I prefer to do all of my updates manually and I have checked/unchecked all the appropriate boxes but it still persists in automatically updating. I don't want this to happen, can anyone help me because if the problems can't be solved I'll be using another Firewall, (reluctantly)only because I can't stop it from connecting. I'm using XP Pro. Thank you.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: ZA Pro Auto Internet connection issue

Concerning your connection problem, make sure you have your DNS & DHCP server IP's in the Trusted zone. Also make sure you have granted Generic Host Process 'access' to both zones & 'server' rights in the Trusted zone of your ZAP program control. In case you need it, here's how to find DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it..

If you are using ZAP, it does not automatically download updates but it will alert you when an update is available if you have 'check for updates' on.

petefeth Guest

Thank you for your quick reply. In the command line, ip config etc I have a line that reads "Dhcp enabled" which says No and a line that reads "DNS Servers" with an address to the right. In the firewall Zones tab when I click add,and select IP address the zone is set to trusted. Do I have to put in anything here such as an IP address, if so what do I put in, is it the address from the ip config mentioned previously? I am using ZAP and even though I have my preferences set to manually check for product updates it doesn't alert me of updates, it just starts updating automatically. Should I have it set to check for updates automatically? Sorry about all of this but I am at my wits end trying to solve these problems. Thank you for your patience.

billc Guest

If you have your DNS IP or IP's in your Trusted zone and you are able to surf, then you need not add any other IP. I am a bit confused in that ZAP does not, or shall I say, should not 'automatically update itself. It might check for updates but should give you the option to install or not. Are you perhaps meaning to say that it auto checks for updates even with that option turned off in your ZAP > Overview > Preferences tab?

petefeth Guest

Yes, I have my IP address in my trusted zone and can surf the net without any problems and yet when I'm disconnected ZAP still persists in connecting to the internet. Can't stop it and as for the Automatic updates, perhaps I was a little misleading previously, the automatic updates it's doing is an anti-spyware update, not a product update, but it does it EVERY time I connect to the internet. Is there a way to stop this? Sorry about that!

eolithic Guest

Hello,
    Go to "Anti-Spyware" > "Advanced Options" > "Updates" and unmark the "Enable Automatic Anti-Spyware Updates (recommended)".

Thread Information