Thread: Internet browser abruptly fails to access msnbc (but allows other sites) then works again

jimskelton Guest

Default Internet browser abruptly fails to access msnbc (but allows other sites) then works again

It's taken a while to narrow down this problem to zonealarm (free), but here's what is happening:IE or Firefox loads home page (msnbc.msn.com), but when I click on a news article, page cannot be found. Clicking on the back or home button also fails to load page. Navigating anywhere else seems to work. After around 15 minutes or a reboot, msnbc loads fine, and will continue to work for a random amount of time (from hours to days). Because this problem is very intermittent, it takes a while to test a fix. My internal network (192.168.0.1-254) has been entered into the trusted zone in ZA. Here's what I've tried so far:--During a failure,a look at the DNScache showed msn as a failed lookup,and ipconfig /flushdns allowed immediate access to msnbc.--A registry patch which prevents the dns cache from storing negative cache results reduced the time when the browser can access msnbc (from 15 minutes to a few minutes)--changing the DNS server addresses from automatic (my router)to those of my ISP didn't seem to have any effect--entering msnbc's IP address (207.46.150.50) as my home page also produced intermittent failures.--a shutdown of zonealarm allowed immediateaccess to msnbcBefore the negative dns cache registry patch, a failure was occuring almost every day. After the registry patch, a failure occurred within a few days, and another one occurred 10 days later (today). I suspect that zonealarm blocks access to msn's site for some reason, but does so intermittently. As you can see, I've tried removing the DNS factor by the registry patch, and by bypassing DNS and going directly toMSN's IP address. It seems to me that zonealarm is very intermittently blocking access to the msn site, but then allowing access. It could be I suspect that only msn's site is affected because I just happen to be on that site when it fails, but invariably, the scenario is that the browser loads the home page (msnbc) successfully, but when I click on a link within that page it fails. Going anywhere else on the internet works. After an undetermined amount of time, msnbc will work again.Is there a fix for this?I'm using ZA (free) 6. 1. 737. 000 and Windows XP SP2

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: Internet browser abruptly fails to access msnbc (but allows other sites) then works again

There is nothing in ZA Free that should block your access to msnbc. I suspect that 'Pro' features are somehow turned on in your ZA Free firewall. Try a database reset to see if that will fix the problem. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

Thread Information