Thread: ZA Pro acess problems, please help

melafee Guest

Default ZA Pro acess problems, please help

I've had Zone Alarm for a while now, started with free version and later went Pro. But here's my problem: every once in a while i wouldn't be able to get to web pages or use Yahoo messanger. I would check my settings and they were fine so I would shut off and then reopen ZA and it would work again. But now everytime I have it on it blocks my stuff. just today I got online, was on yahoo messenger with np, but i couldn't update avg, open web pages, nothing but be on yahoo messemger. everything else said i was not connected to the internet. So I turned off ZA and had no problems. can someone please tell me what is going on or at least ideas so i can fix this? i feel naked without my firewall and don't want to use any others but i can't keep this one if i can never have it on due to it blocking everything.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:5.5

billc Guest

Default Re: ZA Pro acess problems, please help

Check to confirm you have your DNS & DHCP server IP's in the Trusted zone of your Firewall > Zones panel. In case you don't know, here is how to find DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it..

fingerprn Guest

Like so many others on this forum,I'mhaving the same problems the original poster mentioned. I took your advice and put my DNS IP addressesinto my trusted zone. However, I have someone concern regarding what this really means. The IP addresses I entered appear tobe similar to, notnot the same as, my direct IP address. Am I opening my computer to hackers?

billc Guest

No, you are not opening your computer to hackers. It simply means you are only allowing your computer to communicate with your Domain Name Server which is needed in order to surf.

Thread Information