Thread: ZoneAlarm Free blocks programs where it's configured to allow Internet Access

keithj Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Free blocks programs where it's configured to allow Internet Access

A couple of days ago, I found that all of a sudden my laptop couldn't access the web with Firefox or MSIE. I now get timeouts every time. If I turn off ZoneAlarm Free, then there's no problem, and they can access the web. If I turn ZoneAlarm Free down to "Firewall Medium" then I can access - but (for example) every page I click on in these forums brings up a dialler tab. Cancelling that, the page then loads.

There is no record of these rejections in the ZoneAlarm log, which is turned on.

Firefox has all four boxes ticked - for Trusted and Internet, Access and Server. That just gets blocked until it times out, with no reason and no comment from ZA.

IE has tick-ask-tick-ask. Trying to open that brings up the panel "Protected. The firewall has blocked Internet access to 62.241.163.200 (DNS) from your computer. Program: Generic HostProcess for Win32 Services. Time: 08/12/2005 23:08:32." Those rejections are logged.

ZoneAlarm has been configured with full access for svchost.exe - all four boxes are ticked. So why is it blocked when it has permission? Removing it from the filelist, rebooting, and trying again means ZA asks if it should allow it - I say yes and always - it accesses once, then never again.

I removed the latest version of ZA Free (61.737.000) and reinstalled the older 60.667.000 that had previously been fine. The problem remained.

Oh - it also blocks Mozilla Thunderbird, but not Trillian, MSN Messenger 7.5, or Skype - although Skype brings up the message about svchost.exe not being allowed to access the DNS server.

What am I doing wrong?

STOP PRESS: I think (not finished testing) that I've fixed it: I added my ISP's DNS address to the "Trusted Zone". Should I need to do this, and is it a valid thing to do? What happens if the ISP changes DNS?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free blocks programs where it's configured to allow Internet Access

Hi Keithj
    What you say in the end of your post is the right thing to do. You also can add the ip of DHCP server. You get them from the command ipconfig /all in the command line.http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=23056#M23056
    That is he way to do it as I think you did when you added The ip of DNS servers.
    Best regards

Thread Information