Thread: Can't connect to server using ZA firewall

okv Guest

Default Can't connect to server using ZA firewall

Hi.
    For some months I've been having this problem with connecting to the net. It may work OK for some hours or a day or so, then I will get the message "Cannot find server"(or something similar). I used to have my PC turned off and on, and after restart it would work OK. Annoying, to say the least. Then someone hinted this could be a firewall issue, so I started disabling ZA before connecting, and everything would run smoothly. Still quite a bit awkward. I found an advice in one of these groups to do a complete re/install, but it didn't help.
    I am running the latest versions of Firefox, Thunderbird and ZA with no other firewalls active.
    If this is a known issue (or not), I would very much like to hear from you.

Thanks in advance,
    ole k,
    trondheim,
    norway

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

okv Guest

Default Re: Can't connect to server using ZA firewall

Ooops! Sorry for posting twice . . .

ole k

The most common cause is that you are losing your IP address. Most ISPs use DHCP to assign IP addresses. Many also send a heartbeat to see if you are still connected. ZoneAlarm may have blocked them.1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it..

okv Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>chiawaikian wrote:
    The most common cause is that you are losing your IP address. Most ISPs use DHCP to assign IP addresses. Many also send a heartbeat to see if you are still connected. ZoneAlarm may have blocked them.1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall&gt;Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it..
    Thanks a lot for your reply. I did like you said (I think), but after entering Add/IP address, the "OK" button would remain greyed out. If it matters, after entering the first two fields, the marker would not automatically to the third and fourth, if you know what I mean. Also, in the DOS mode, the IP address was different from the DNS and DHCP servers were different from the IP adress (only the last digit).
    </BLOCKQUOTE>

okv Guest

Sorry. It's just that I didn't give it a name (description). Now all I have to do is to wait and see if it works. Thanks againrgds,ole k

okv Guest

Chiawaikian wrote:The most common cause is that you are losing your IP address. Most ISPs use DHCP to assign IP addresses. Many also send a heartbeat to see if you are still connected. ZoneAlarm may have blocked them.1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall&gt;Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it.. Sorry, now I've tried the above, but my problem remains . . . rgds,ole k

okv Guest

Sorry, as I haven't figured out how threading works in this group, I repost my last msg, hoping to get it at the bottom of the thread this time, instead of replying to a two days old reply. If that made any sense at all.rgds,ole k

Thread Information