Thread: Firewall set to stealth mode but open MS file disappeared/hijacked

gsh Guest

Default Firewall set to stealth mode but open MS file disappeared/hijacked

I had a Microsoft works file open while I was on the internet. The ZA firewall is set to stealth mode. When I went to save the MS file, it told me it was password protected. Without thinking, I closed the file, and then the file no longer exists anywhere on my hard drive. I thought the fiewall would prevent someone accessing your computer to steal files as this seems to be what happened. Any suggestions? Is there another setting I need to verify?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: Firewall set to stealth mode but open MS file disappeared/hijacked

If you started a new Works file then closed it without saving it, it likely got deleted. You might be able to click on the 'History' tab in Works and find it there. What I can say is that I don't believe the file was not stolen. Sorry about that.

gsh Guest

The file has existed for the last 4 months. So, it was created, it is not in the recylcle bin, and it is not anywhere on the computer - used the search/find, and also did a manual search through the registry in case it got renamed to something else. It is not there - plus, whenI had opened the file, Iused the save function and it told me the file was password protected and I needed to save another copy. That is why I thought it strange since I do not use passwords onindividual files. So.....after I decided not to make a copy since I thought it strange it telling me it was password protected, I closed it, went to reopen it from the same folder it was filed in and it was gone. That is when I started doing the searches etc.It is as if someone took control of the file when it was open and moved it off my hard drive to another location.Anyone havesuggestions? I want to know how to prevent this from happening in the future, or if this is NOT what happened - for someone to explain it to me. I have limited knowledge about firewall settings, but PC and MS Officeskills are well developed.

billc Guest

I now understand it was an older file. While one can never be a 100% sure when it comes to computers, I still believe your firewall was not the reason this file was lost. While I've never needed to use one, I know there are file recovery programs that might very well help you recover this file. One freeware program is called PC Inspector File Recovery (click here) . There are many available if you look at this Google File Recovery page . Some may be shareware you can try.

We will be glad to help you better understand and use your ZA firewall, so please ask.

Thread Information