Thread: eTrust EZ Antivirus update fails after return from hibernation

mwewe Guest

Default eTrust EZ Antivirus update fails after return from hibernation

Hi.I have Zone Alarm Free working well with no apparent problems. After I boot, my eTrust EZ Antivirus updates normally from the CA FTP website with no difficulties. It also updates at regular intervals while I'm working. I have all the relevant CA programs listed in my ZA program control with Internet access granted as specified.If, however, I put my computer into hibernation for any period of time, the antivirus program will not update correctly when I wake it back up. It behaves in a very unusual way:1. It will connect and download the approximately 3 megabytes of data from the CA site.2. The Antivirus program will attempt to install the update, but fails and reports an Update Failure3. Succeeding attempts to update manually also fail.4. Zone Alarm reports no activity in either the Program or Firewall logs - no indication of blocking5. I can stop all other active programs that may access the networks, but the update still failsThere's just no indication from ZA that something is being blocked. My browser is not running, and no other programs that access the Internet are running, nor any other security programs.However, if I simply shut ZA down and then restart it, the antivirus program will update normally. It attempts to re-download the update, discovers that it's in the download cache, and then simply proceeds to install the update with no problem.I can see some Internet activity as it installs the update, so perhaps it needs to contact a web site for some kind of verification and ZA is preventing this without reporting it.But how can ZA prevent an access without generating a log entry? And what changes when you simply restart ZA even though it appears to be functioning normally? The computer wakes up from hibernation correctly and all other functions perform flawlessly.Is there some part of ZA that fails to re-initialize when the computer wakes up? I'm really at a loss here. I don't mind the inconvenience of manually restarting ZA for my own computer, but the rest of my family doesn't pay attention to the failed updates, nor do they boot often. So ZA causes them to operate with out-of-date antivirus updates.Since I'm behind a NAT router, my instinct tells me to un-install ZA and use the Windows XP Firewall. I'm tempted to do this since they don't know what to do with the ZA outbound alerts anyway.Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!Thanks,MweweZoneAlarm version:6.1.737.000
    TrueVector version:6.1.737.000
    Driver version:6.1.737.000

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: eTrust EZ Antivirus update fails after return from hibernation

Hi Mwewe
    Try adding the ip's of the DHCP and DNS servers to the trusted zone. Instructions: http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=23056#M23056
    Best regards

mwewe Guest

Thanks, I'll do that and report back after my next hibernation cycle.--Mwewe

mwewe Guest

Hi, Ad-Hock.Well, adding the DNS IPs had essentially no effect at all on my system. I'm willing to try anything, but I couldn't see how it would work. I have no problem accessing the Internet with all my usual programs. In fact, EZ Antivirus has no problem accessing the internet either. It downloads the update just fine, but it won't finish the installation with ZA in memory.Somehow, ZoneAlarm is preventing it from properly updating, and it's not logging that activity so the only way to debug the problem is by trial and error. But the hibernation/wake-up cycle is too long to do that efficiently.At the moment, ZA won't shut down for some reason. And even though I have the Protect Client switch unchecked, I can't kill the process. Nor can I kill the vsmon service. ZA has taken control of my computer away from me and I don't like the feeling. It's like a virus or trojan horse itself. Logging off doesn't fix it, so I'll have to re-boot the system if I want to update my AV tonight.I have a friend who is willing to lend me his ZA Pro to see if that fails the same way, but I don't really want to do that. I've worked in the Software field for about 30 years and I don't like debugging other people's software any more.All I really want is a firewall to stop outgoing programs because my NAT router keeps incoming pretty much under control, and there's always the XP firewall for my laptop when I travel.At this point, it looks like ZA is making my systems less safe by preventing AV updates, so the intelligent thing to do wouldbe to remove it from all four systems and look for alternatives. Thanks for your help.

ad_hock Guest

Hi Mwewe
    I understand quite well your point of view. Myself I run a small network with a desktop (XP Pro) wired to a G wireless Linksys router and a wireless laptop (OS XP Home), and in both computers I run ZAPro 5.5.094 (I have Process Guard in both computers). So my suggestion is try to revert to this version 5 as it is quite stable (my network runs for almost a year without a incident). Anyway this is only a suggestion as I believe ZAPro 5.5.094 is one of the best software firewalls in the market.
    Good luck whatever your decision will bee and best regards

mwewe Guest

Thanks for the info, Ad-Hock. I do appreciate it. I used ZA when it was first created and watched it develop into the large comprehensive product it is today. At one point, I switched to Sygate's Firewall because it was smaller, more stable, and had more comprehensive switches and monitors. But Sygate was bought by Symantec, and, as has happened so many times in the past, Symantec has stopped producing and supporting all Sygate personal firewall products.I've looked at TPF and Kerio, but they seem to have stopped offering free personal firewalls too. Perhaps they're anticipating Microsoft's interest in this field, I don't know.I have one desktop and three wireless laptops here, so we're using comparable networks. Two hundred dollars a year for ZAP is steep, especially since I don't need the anti-spyware, smart defense, email security, anti-identity theft, etc., etc. capabilities. I prefer to steer clear of all-in-one programs.Like Swiss Army knives, they do many things, but none as good as the dedicated tools, andon top of that they're very bloated and complex,which makes them buggy.In this case,it'll be a long time before thisbug disappears becauseit affects only a few people... maybe only me! But it's very real and reproducible, and painful.I think I'll leave ZA here for testing but remove it everywhere else and replace it with XP's firewall and MS's anti-spyware.After all, the main reason for outbound monitoring is to catch spyware and trojans, so maybe this will be enough. LIke I said, my users don't really know what to do with an outbound alert anyway, so they usually just say OK and let it go at that.Thanks again for your interest.Regards,Mwewe.

ad_hock Guest

Hi Mwewe
    You are very welcome.Thanks for sharing in a very nice post your ideas that I subscribe in the greatest part.If you allow let me only make a suggestion. Go to www.ewido.net and download ewido security suite,it has 14 days trial and after that you may keep it for free as on demand scanner (just loose the real time monitoring). It's along Trojan Hunter one of the best anti trojans and also picks up a lot of malware, spybots,tracking files or cookies ... I think it will fit quite well in the type of approach you spoke.
    My best regards

mwewe Guest

Ewido was suggested to me by a colleague whose company services networks of clients throughout Northern California. He mentioned it to me last week and I had forgotten the name -- age is catching up with me. Thanks for the reminder!Regards,Mwewe

Thread Information