Thread: Access lost to internet via network added to Internet Zone

dougblackburn Guest

Default Access lost to internet via network added to Internet Zone

I belong to a private network for broadband internet access. I do not want it in the trusted zone. I treat it like a hotel network. I disable this network via windows when I am not using the internet. I have IE set up to prompt for dial-up access if the private network is down. This all worked great when I was using Norton Internet Security.Under Zone Alarm,if I disable the private network then enable it, I cannot access the internet through the Zone Alarm Firewalleven though I knowthe connectionis active.When disabled the private network disappears from the Internet Zone list in the Zone Alarm Firewall.Sometimes it returns to the listand sometimes it doesn't. In either case, the internet becomes unavailable to me through the private network. If I leave the private networkconnection enabled and either re-boot or shut down Zone Alarm and start it back up I may get access again. Re-boot seems to work more often. I am using Win2K Prof. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Access lost to internet via network added to Internet Zone

Hi dougblackburn
    Try adding the ip's of the DHCP and DNS servers to the trusted zone http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=23056#M23056
    Best regards

dougblackburn Guest

This sounds like an odd fix. Can you give me some explanation as to why that would be necessary. I am concerned that I am using a product that is more suited to people who want totinker with it to get it to work rather than just use it. I am certainly comfortable learning the various parameters of each component so that I can tailor it to my needs, but I am not sure I want to get into the tinkering business. Please explain if you can. Thanks, Doug.

ad_hock Guest

Odd fix or not with the latest versions of ZA placing the ip's of the DHCP and DNS servers in the trusted zone of ZA easiers the dialog either for the renewal of ip's either resolving domains. However as it sounds from your post you have doubts and this is not a court 'to explain if you can' contact technical support http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...ch_support.jsp
    Best regards

dougblackburn Guest

Understood. Thanks. I have not tried your solution yet, but as it turns out since my last reply I happened to execute CCleaner after disabling the connection. When I enabled the connection again all worked fine. So, I did some more disable/enable tests andI was able to get onto the internet in all cases. I left the computer to do something else and the network timed me out and I was able to disable/enable and get back onto the internet. And most recently I have not had to use CCleaner just disable/enable. Hmmm?

ad_hock Guest

You're welcome
    Best regards

Thread Information