Thread: Internet Explorer loads in 30 seconds > too many programs load at start up

oap Guest

Default Internet Explorer loads in 30 seconds > too many programs load at start up

When I click to load IE, it now takes around 30 seconds for it to begin to load. I have broadband connection and i can surf very fast, it's only the opening of IE that is suffering from this.Any chance that ZA is responsible?I use (and have been using for the last year) the following (all the latest version with up to date definitions) to keep away the predators:- Spybot- Microsoft AntiSpyware- Spy Sweeper- Pest Patrol- Norton Antivirus- Ad-Aware- Window WasherI also have the latest version of Java Version 1.5.0, in case this is a potential conflict.Any ideas what is causing the problem, it's very irksome to have to wait a full 30 seconds from clicking to having the browser window appear.Thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: What Happened? - Internet Explorer loads in 30 seconds now

H oap
    I don't know if ZA is responsable but you may see that. Shutdown ZA by right clicking in the icon in the system tray and select shutdown. Then open your task manager and see if vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe are not running. If they are not ZA is down. Launch IE and see how it behaves.
    Best regards

oap Guest

Thanks Ad-Hock,I had removed two items from my startup list since I sent the email and they helped to speed-up the loading of IE. And when I followed your advise and shutdown ZA I did not notice any appreciable change in the speed of loading IE. So my conclusion is that ZA is NOT the culprit.F.Y.I., the programs I prevented from starting up were the Quicken Online Back-up Service and a program called My Personal Favorites (I totally removed this one).I.E. still doesn't load as snappy as when I open it at the office, but perhaps my 4 year old computer may be getting a little tired so that may explain it.Thanks again.

ad_hock Guest

Hi oap
    You're very welcome.Yes sometimes we have too many programs at start up and of course age is also something that counts a lot.
    Wishes of Very Happy New Year.

oap Guest

Well Ad-Hock, I guess we opened the champagne too soon on this. This morning I started-up my computer (less the two items I removed previously) and lo and behold......... a 22-second load time to open Internet Explorer.Back to the drawing board............I've heard there is a conflict between SpySweeper and the latest version of Java Run-Time Environment that causes this problam in IE. But I don't know how to delete the current version of JRE and re-install the prior version to try this out.Any tips anyone?Thanks

ad_hock Guest

Hi oap
    Uninstall the last version of Java Runtime Environment I think would not be the great problem. See this link http://java.com/en/download/help/5000010800.xml
    The difficulty I think is to find the previous version as it's a big program and I don't know if you find it in some mirror that doesn't point to javasun where I don't think those versions are still available. Why don't you email webroot and ask for their instructions about spysweeper and javasun? Also have you never think about using firefox?
    Best regards and a Happy New Year

Thread Information