Thread: Locked out of Internet - Security of adding DHCP & DNS in trusted zone?

eggman Guest

Default Locked out of Internet - Security of adding DHCP & DNS in trusted zone?

Hi,

Quite a few people (myself included) seem to be 'locked out' of internet access by Zonealarm after we have left the machine on idle for a period of time. The solution comes form Ad-Hock, available from, http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=23056#M23056

Basically you need to add your DHCP and DNS IP addresses to the trusted zone. In my case, both these addresses point to the IP address of my router.

My question is, if you have your router in your trusted zone, does that mean if someone gets through the router they have access to your computer, since it is in the trusted zone? If they can then what is the point of running a software firewall?

Thanks,

eggman

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

gerard_konijn Guest

Default Re: Locked out of Internet - Security of adding DHCP & DNS in trusted zone?

Hi eggman and welcome to the Forum,No problems if you protect your router like this:Change the SSID name of the router, don't let hackers search for well-known names,and turn on the Protected Mode. Change the password of the router. UseWPA encryption, that's much better then 128bit WEP encryption. Use Mac Address Filtering. Block ICMP Ping. Disable UPnP. Let manage the router just with one IP Address. If you modify these settings, connect to the router with a cable rather than wirelessly if possible. You can configure it wirelessly, but you are more likely to run into problems if you do. Visit the manufacturer website for the best settings. Best regards, Gerard Konijn. Tilburg, The Netherlands.

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Locked out of Internet - Security of adding DHCP & DNS in trusted zone?

If I may add to what Guru Gerard said,the probability your router leaks on wired is very low and in wireless to be safe you need to implement the measures Gerard said. In addition if you have a network I doubt that you are able to share resources among computers if you don't have your network (that includes your router ip,something like 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0) in the trusted zone. If you just want to share the internet connection, then no problem in having it in internet zone.
    Best regards

Message Edited by Ad-Hock on 01-01-2006 02:34 PM

eggman Guest

Thank you to both of you for your advice! I am running a wired network so some of it doesn't apply to me.

It appears that once your router is in the trusted zone, it is the same as having no firewall at all...?

Thanks again!

ad_hock Guest

You're welcome
    Perhaps I didn't understand your conclusion but one more word. In what respects the incoming packets the router only accepts those corresponding to solicitations from your computer. Don't forget that for the internet what counts is the external ip assigned by your ISP to your router. Specially in wired the only way to get your LAN is if the router leaks which is rare. So the "danger of having the ip in trusted zone" is quite low. In respect to the outbond protection thats the job of your software firewall.To resume you have two firewalls a hardware firewall for the incoming protection and a software firewall for the outbond protection.
    Best regards

Thread Information