Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless problems with Zonealarm 6...

humi Guest

Default Wireless problems with Zonealarm 6...

Hi,Since i have zonealarm 6, i have trouble to access the internet with my wireless card. I am properly connected to the router because i can access the routers configuration page in my browser (internet explorer sp2) butwhen i want to surf,the browsersays: Server not found.However, when i connect my laptop with a cable to the router, there is no problem with the internet.Before i installed ZA, i hadonly used the windows firewall without any problem with my wireless card.Who canhelp me?

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Wireless problems with Zonealarm 6...

Hi humi
    Try to add the ip's of the DHCP and DNS servers to the trusted zone of ZA. To find them hit start-run-cmd and in the DOS window that opens type ipconfig /all. You'll see several lines among them the ip of the DHCP server (that if you have your router's DHCP server enabled will be your router),and the ip's of the DNS servers. To add them to the trusted zone go to Tab firewall page zones and in the box att the bottom (entry detail) click add, choose ip address, enter a brief description and type the ip of your servers and ensure the zone is trusted. You need to do this one by one. Ensure also in the programs list that GHPWin32 (svchost.exe) as internet access both trusted and internet and server rights but only in the trusted zone (three green ticks and a red cross under server internet).
    Best regards

jfsilverman Guest

I am experiencing a similar problem. I have a wireless system and 90% of the time I get on just fine. Sometimes I cannot get my Outlook Express mail nor get on the internet. If I come back an hour later all will be well OR if I restart my machine it will be fine. I called the cable people and have pretty much determined it's a firewall proble. I used to reset the modem/router but that is unnecessary. Any suggestions? I am a real novice so please do NOT assume I know much. thanks.

humi Guest

Hello Ad-Hock,Thanks for the reply, now it works much better. Nevertheless, i have a problem: When i leave the pc for an hour alone and come back, i have the same problem of not being able to surf on internet with my wireless card. After disconnecting and reconnecting the card, it works again. Why is ZA having so much trouble with the wirelessinternet?

ad_hock Guest

Hi humi
    You're welcome.
    Try this:In Tab firewall, page main in internet zone security click custom. Then in internet zone check allow outgoing DHCP/DNS. This might work to jsilverman too.About the problem you have if you leave the pc (i don't know if you get it hibernating), may be this works (at least i gave this advice several times in the forum and it did).Open your network connection in control panel right click over it and choose properties.In tab general at the top 'connect using...', click configurate.Then see if you have a page 'energy management'(some XP has others don't, my desktop running XP Pro has and my laptop running XP Home doesn't). If you have open and see if you have a check box 'allow this computer to turn off this device to save energy',if it's there uncheck it.
    I have a desktop wired to a Linksys wireless G router and a laptop wireless, and I run in both computers ZAPro 5.5 plus Process Guard the main reason why i didn't install version 6 as OS firewall is the first steps of ZA in the field of PG for me a safer bet. Just to say that this network runs perfectly for almost a year, so each case is a case. If needed post back and w'll see.
    Best regards

jfsilverman Guest

thanks AD-Hoc. I printed out your posts and will try and figure out how to implement your suggestions. The thing I love the most about technology is the way a guy can get help from a complete stranger. Thanx again.

ad_hock Guest

Hi jfsilverman
    You're very welcome.
    I hope that those suggestions work with you and you can surf and work smoothly.
    Best regards

jfsilverman Guest

I surprised myself and figured out how to do what you said to do. Tomorrow should be an indicator as to how it works. Can you tell me what we did in plain language? What is DHCP/DNS?

zonehashi Guest

is it safe to do this. if i do this will i be opening myself up to hackers. sorry im a newbthanks

ad_hock Guest

Hi jfsilverman
    To comunicate with other computers and receive comunications also, your computer needs an address, your ip (internet protocol). So it can send packets and receive packets. This is the basis for a network that use the TCP/IP protocol. And each computer owns a different ip. One of the most common ways for assigning ip addresses is DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). This is done by your ISP through his DHCP Servers. DNS (Domaine Name Server) is a crucial part of the internet and is how DNS Servers (each with it's ip address) resolve or translate host names like http://www.zonelabs.com in ip addresses to allow the packets to be routed properly.
    Some times there are connection dificulties, so the suggestions i've made goes in the sense to easy the dialog between your computer and the router (in this case is the router itself that acts as DHCP assigning ip addresses to the computers in your Lan (Local Area Network), and the DNS Servers to easy the resolution of the host addresses.
    I suggest if you are interested in a deep explanation google DHCP and DNS and you'll get plenty of results.
    Best regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information