Thread: Can't Access MS Excel Online Help

Hybrid View

feistyfortynine Guest

Default Can't Access MS Excel Online Help

Unless I turn off Program Control and Smart Defense Advisor, I am blocked from getting automatic online help for MS Excel. The error message generated by Excel says, Unable to connect to Microsoft office Online. The ZASS security alert says, Blocked. Microsoft Excel was blocked from connecting to the Internet.

Interestingly, I can make connection with MS online help when using Word.

In ZASS Program Control/Programs, I have given Trusted Access to every MS program listed. Word and Excel are specifically listed, of course, and they both have the same access, and again, I can access online help for Word but not Excel.

I ve even followed instructions in ZASS help by trying to add Excel by clicking on the Excel s program file and adding it that way to the acceptable online areas ZASS should allow.

It s frustrating any ideas what I can do?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: Can't Access MS Excel Online Help

Maybe. Go to your ZA Program Control > Programs list, locate the MS Excel program, right click on it, then click to 'remove' it. Now open Excel and try to access the Microsoft Help site again and you should get a ZA program alert. Click 'allow' and the 'remember this' box. Any luck?

feistyfortynine Guest

Dang.. your suggestion, which sounds like a good idea to me, didn't work. I still get the same error messages.

<blockquote><hr>BillCherryAtl wrote:
    Maybe. Go to your ZA Program Control > Programs list, locate the MS Excel program, right click on it, then click to 'remove' it. Now open Excel and try to access the Microsoft Help site again and you should get a ZA program alert. Click 'allow' and the 'remember this' box. Any luck?
    <hr></blockquote>

billc Guest

Sometimes it does work especially if you've upgrade the software since first granting access. Just to check that it is ZASS, right click on the ZA icon in your system tray, select 'shutdown ZASS', and then see if you can access the help site. Once your through, turn ZASS back on of course. What happened?

Does the URL for the MS Excel Online Help site appear in your browser when you try to access it? If it does I'm thinking there is a chance something in your Privacy settings is blocking the site. If you know the URL, go to your Privacy > Site List, click on the 'add' button, enter the URL (for example: help.microsoft.com or whatever) then click 'ok'. Now locate the site you just entered on the Site List, right click on it and select 'options'. Next go through all three tabs to uncheck everything and click 'apply' as you go through each tab. Now clean your browser cache and try the site again.

feistyfortynine Guest

Shutting down ZASS does allow access, which I figured would happen because when I put Program Control on "Off" I can access the online help also. A browser doesn't open when accessing help for Word, Excel, etc. A little window opens right in the spreadsheet (or document) and various choices for answers appear. Therefore, I can't tell what URL is being accessed. It's not a big deal thing in the grand scheme of things (certainly it's not airplanes flying into buildings, which is what I compare life events against). It's a small irritation. I'll keep working on it, and if you come up with something, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Thanks for your suggestions and time.

Marla

<blockquote><hr>BillCherryAtl wrote:
    Sometimes it does work especially if you've upgrade the software since first granting access. Just to check that it is ZASS, right click on the ZA icon in your system tray, select 'shutdown ZASS', and then see if you can access the help site. Once your through, turn ZASS back on of course. What happened?

Does the URL for the MS Excel Online Help site appear in your browser when you try to access it? If it does I'm thinking there is a chance something in your Privacy settings is blocking the site. If you know the URL, go to your Privacy > Site List, click on the 'add' button, enter the URL (for example: help.microsoft.com or whatever) then click 'ok'. Now locate the site you just entered on the Site List, right click on it and select 'options'. Next go through all three tabs to uncheck everything and click 'apply' as you go through each tab. Now clean your browser cache and try the site again.
    <hr></blockquote>

billc Guest

Check something if you would. Go to your ZASS Program Control > Programs, right click on the Excel program, select 'options', and make sure the box labeled 'Enable Privacy for this Program' under Filtering is not checked. Was it checked and did that help?

Thread Information