Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Zonealarm updates prevent access to internet after a while

maggieclarke Guest

Default Re: Free Zonealarm updates prevent access to internet after a while

Hi again
    I've tried to get this done for my mother. She's run into a snag. Maybe you can help. She gets as far as typing in cmd and gets the following:

Cannot find the file "cmd" (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.
    OK

What does this mean and how can we fix it?

maggieclarke Guest

Hi again
    We found another way to get a DOS screen and she found the DHCP server, but there is no line for DNS Servers. There is one for Primary WINS and Secondary WINS server. Are these the same thing as DNS servers?

ad_hock Guest

Hi maggieclarke
    Sorry but I'm not sure if I understand right. What you are saying is your mother in start-run and typing cmd in the run box instead of opening the command line if she clicks OK or the search box if she clicks search, she gets the message you describe?am I missing something?Please detail as much you can the problem and it would also help to know the OS (if it is XP or other).
    Best regards

jkevinw Guest

Thanks, I tried your method and it seems to be working so far. So I will leave those boxes unchecked unless I run into trouble again. If I get your drift, your method is the more conservative approach that leaves less open to possible attack (though there would be little danger of it happening because of the other defalt settings with what I was doing.)

Thanks again...

ad_hock Guest

You're very welcome
    Even the second method (outgoing DHCP/DNS) doesn't represent a danger as you don't open ports and don't give pemissions to any malware to access the internet. This basically makes easier the dialog with your DHCP concerning the renewal of ip's and also makes easier the dialog with the DNS servers for resolving domains(changing URL to ip). What happens sometimes is ZA blocks the DNS requests and also the DHCP dialog making hard the connection to the internet and the surfing.If you are not behind a router or a modem with NAT you may go to www.grc.com and run the shields up test and you'll see your ports should continue stealthed.
    Best regards

ad_hock Guest

Hi maggieclarke
    Put briefly the WINS (Windows Internet Name Server) is an older protocol for the resolution of names that DNS (Domain Name System).So,if in your mother's computer what is displayed is the DHCP and WINS servers that means that what is installed is this protocol and not the more recent DNS, otherwise it would appear DNS servers. No problem as the purpose it's the same what is different is the protocol used.
    Best regards

maggieclarke Guest

Hi

I thought I'd sent an additional message, but I guess it didn't get picked up. We tried again using an icon for DOS prompt on her desktop and she got the list of items but there are no DNS servers. She got the first itme. So we're stuck. She's using Win98. She wants to just uninstall Zonealarm. If we can't get it to work, what is the best option?

maggieclarke Guest

<blockquote><hr>Ad-Hock wrote:
    You're very welcome
    Even the second method (outgoing DHCP/DNS) doesn't represent a danger as you don't open ports and don't give pemissions to any malware to access the internet. This basically makes easier the dialog with your DHCP concerning the renewal of ip's and also makes easier the dialog with the DNS servers for resolving domains(changing URL to ip). What happens sometimes is ZA blocks the DNS requests and also the DHCP dialog making hard the connection to the internet and the surfing.If you are not behind a router or a modem with NAT you may go to www.grc.com and run the shields up test and you'll see your ports should continue stealthed.
    Best regards
    <hr></blockquote>

I thought I'd sent an additional message, but I guess it didn't get picked up. We tried again using an icon for DOS prompt on her desktop and she got the list of items but there are no DNS servers. She got the first item - DHCP server . So we're stuck. She's using Win98. She wants to just uninstall Zonealarm. If we can't get it to work, what is the best option?

ad_hock Guest

Hi maggieclarke
    Sorry for the late answer but if you take a look to the off topic section you'll understand. About your mother's problem,only now I see she runs 98.It happens that this last version of ZA, version 6, no longer supports original 98 but at least 98SE. You may try what I suggested earlier go to Tab firewall, page main and in internet zone security click custom. Then in the new window either in trusted either in internet check 'allow outgoing DHCP/DNS'. If this doesn't work the best option is to uninstall ZA and see if your mother faces the possibility of a upgrade of the OS. That could become possible the use of ZA.
    If you decide to uninstall ZA do a clean uninstall,following the procedure in this link http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=23435#M23435
    Best regards

maggieclarke Guest

I just saw your message. Mom has been so upset, I just told her to uninstall it, but the usual way via the control panel. I was having trouble telling her exactly from here (I have flu so am not visiting her) since I have XP and she has 98, but she thinks she uninstalled it. What's the problem with not following the procedure you linked to? She's thinking of getting another computer anyway tho.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information