Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Zonealarm updates prevent access to internet after a while

Hybrid View

maggieclarke Guest

Default Free Zonealarm updates prevent access to internet after a while

This has been bugging me and my mother (2 different machines) for some months now. This started right after ZA updated itself. Problem: When I first boot up, ZA comes on and I can access the internet fine. But after a while of the computer being on, when I try to use email / web I get messages like I can't access (either using Eudora or IE or Firefox), where those had been fine before. The second I shut down ZA, I can send out email and access websites. It's really annoying and I don't know whether buying the package would change anything. What have people done here?

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version: 6.0

Message Edited by maggieclarke on 01-14-2006 12:24 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Free Zonealarm updates prevent access to internet after a while

Hi maggieclarke
    Try adding the ip's of the DHCP and DNS servers to the trusted zone of ZA. Follow this link to see how to do that http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=23056#M23056
    Most times this solve the problem,see if it works for you.
    Best regards

maggieclarke Guest

OK: This is what you said:

Try to add the ip's of your DHCP and DNS servers to the trusted zone of ZA. Open the command line (hit start-run-cmd) and type
    ipconfig /all. You'll see several lines among them your DHCP server with the ip and the DNS servers (can be more then one). Take note of all these ip's. Then go to ZA tab firewall and page zones and in the box at the bottom (entry detail),click add, choose ip address and then enter a bief description, type the ip's you found and make sure the zone is setted to trusted. You need to do this one by one.
    Best regards

I did the first and got the IP's but I see nothing at the bottom of the ZA firewall tab. I have the free one. The only thing I see is a button for advanced. I see no page zones, entry detail or anything for IPs. Please advise.

ad_hock Guest

Hi maggieclarke
    I think you are looking at TAb firewall, page main, you need to click in page zones to open the zones list where your network is listed and the box entry detail allow you to add the ip's. This page zones doesn't have the box advanced, that box exists in main.I don't think this is different in ZA free. Go to firewall look carefully and you'll see the pages main and zones. Unless some installation problem happened ,but take a close look first.
    Best regards

maggieclarke Guest

Found it and it works! Thank you! Now, why is it that Zonealarm did this without telling people what to do? I presume that a lot of people started having problems for the same reason and at the same time? Do they look here or don't they care?

ad_hock Guest

Hi maggieclarke
    You are very welcome and I'm glad it worked for you. About what you say, I don't know as, I think you know, this is a user forum and no one, exception for the Forum Moderator, works for ZL. We do this as a way to share and learn with each other and also having some fun.However allow me just to add this, computers and OS are different from people to people and the ZA versions are also different and works differently for different people. This last one I mean version 6 with the introduction of OS firewall has been particulary tough in several aspects and there are people working without or with few problems and for others has been a total mess. The fix you did, usually it's the first one to be tried when there are connection problems and most times it solves the problem. However if you don't have this connection problems you don't need to do it,that's my case for example. What I'm trying to say is it's not easy to have universal rules although I agree with you that some elaborated instructions like if this... try this... and so on,would help a lot.
    Good luck and my kind regards

detuinman Guest

The same problem here. After the latest update our internet connection was blocked.Our problem was a blocked "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" proces (svchost.exe).I solve the problem by changing the deny state to allow for "Trusted Access" and "Trusted Server".

ad_hock Guest

Hi DeTuinman
    Yes those are the right settings for GHPWin32 (svchost.exe),full access trusted and internet and server rights only in trusted zone. Sometimes this is not enough and most connection problems are solved with the fix I suggested,adding the ip's of DHCP and DNS servers to trusted zone. But if if there are not connection problems it's not necessary to do that. For example I don't.
    Best regards

jkevinw Guest

I found another work around, but please tell me which is "safer" to do. I have Verizon DSL, everything would work fine on start up, but if the system was idle then the browser and email couldn't find the connection unless I rebooted the system.

The other work around was to go to the fire wall advance settings and check "Allow Outgoing DNS/DHCP in Trusted Zone on High Setting" and "Allow Outgoing DNS/DHCP in Internet Zone on High Setting". Only having both checked would revive the connection.

I've added the DNS/DHCP ips as suggested to the trusted zone (one was missing) and unchecked the boxes. A report back on how it runs.

Please let me know though which work around provides the better fire wall protection. Thanks...

ad_hock Guest

Hi jkevinmw
    Both are safe. I normally start suggesting the first one,that is adding the ip's of the DHCP and DNS servers to the trusted zone. This works most of the times.If it fails then I suggest what you have done, in internet zone security click custom and then check 'allow outgoing DHCP/DNS'. You may try what I suggested to maggieclarke first and if it doesn't solve the problem then do the second,or if you feel comfortable with the second just leave it. I think there are no need to use both at same time,but just try and no problems about security specially with internet zone security at high and the network ZA detected in internet zone in Tab firewall page zones.
    Best regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information