Thread: MSN 7.5 access

artie Guest

Default MSN 7.5 access

Please, all other messangers - ICQ, PSI client for jabber don't have this issue with not getting access because of firewalls but MSN MESSANGER DOES. WHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT THE WAY THIS PROGRAM ESTABLISH A CONNECTION?

I've tried everything the guys suggested on this forum but I'm affraid there is no way to solve this issue without XP reinstall:-)) It seems like I can't change/fix some hidden setting, the one which prohibits MSN to establish a connection. I even tried to launch windows messanger first, loged it in and then open MSN messanger and loged it in as well. Well...it does tell me that there is a new inter from another PC and that's why the previous connnection was closed. Connection settings check out tells me that there no any problem - EVERYTHING WORKS FINE. So why MSN doesn't go online?

1. regsvr32 softpub.dll wintrust.dll initpki.dll - doesn't help
    2. inconfig /flushdns - doesn't help
    3. ???

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:5.1

Default Re: MSN 7.5 access

I believe it is a firewall issue but I'm not sure where. I do know that in a previous version of MSN Messenger I was able to tweek the connection settings (under Tools/Options/Advanced Settings) in a way that is not possible in the current version and that solved the problem. I also know I can't send files using MSN Messenger because of my firewall. I don't know if its the software or hardware firewall to blame and I don't know what to do to fix it.

Now, if you log into MSN using Windows Messenger and get right in, then start up MSN Messenger you get logged out of Windows Messenger telling you that you have successfully logged in from somewhere else. But the little green figures continue to spin for ages and eventually it either gets in or gives up. Something is preventing the full establishment of the connection but I don't know what. It MAY have something to do with setting up of the SIP protocol via HTTP.

But hey, I just gave up and switched to using Skype instead and have never had any problems! Its far more secure than any other messenger and has saved me a lot of headaches!

artie Guest

I would like to give it up too, as I use jabber client PSI now and reach ICQ contact from there, but I can't do the same with MSN. It seems like MSN has been blocking any other system from logging into its servers so they prevent chatting between MSN buddies via any other client except MSN, I can understand it. That's why I'm not giving up MSN and still try to figure out what is wrong? Perhaps it's something about the way I go online? It's via VPN, may it cause such issues?

The reason you can't log in is the protocols are proprietry. I use Verichat on my Sony Cli (ie PalmOS) and it services MSN, Yahoo and AOL/ICQ via gateways and curiously it DOESN'T have the MSN log in problems that the MSN Messenger has! It connects via my home Wi-Fi and so it goes through the router too. I really think its something to do with the way MSN Messenger handles the SIP protocol (ie for VOIP) within the router. There are settings in my router to allow MSN Messenger to use this protocol.

Maybe you could try using the web version of MSN messenger and see if you still have problems. http://webmessenger.msn.com/.

Alternatively you could join Skype and invite your buddies to join too explain why you're changing. The benefits are immense including hassle-free connection, and highly secure encryption of IM's, File Transfer, voice and video.

Thread Information