Thread: Lost internet connection with ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware

dlcole Guest

Default Lost internet connection with ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware

I'm trying to help a friend with her computer but am having little luck. I downloaded ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware to check for spyware and set up a firewall. After maybe 15 minutes we lost connectivity to the internet. When we restart, the Windows event log shows a DHCP error, and the machine is failing to get an IP address. (The computer is a desktop attached to a cable modem). When I attach my laptop I connect OK, so I've isolated the problem to her machine. I've tried uninstalling ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware, even following the instructions at http://www.shoes.com/product.asp?p=1...mp;CMP=EMC-EAFand still we get the DHCP error.Any ideas on what to do? Thanks, David

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

dlcole Guest

Default Re: Lost internet connection with ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware

OK, so the link isn't to the complete uninstall instructions! But, I did uninstall ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware and am still unable to connect to the internet. At this point, I just want to get internet connectivity, and I'll add Anti-Spyware back later. Still seeking suggestions... David

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi, First of all, I am just a regular user of Zone Alarm and I will try to help you. It's a good possibility that you did not really get all the old Zone Alarm program off your computer. PLEASE follow the "exact instructions" on removal of any version of Zone Alarm and then PLEASE post back the results.Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin. Now install a fresh copy of Zone Alarm. SlyFox:0
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

4. Default Re: Lost internet connection with ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware

SlyFox, Thanks for your reply. I believe I had followed the instructions, but I will try again. I'll first have to re-install ZoneAlarm anti-spyware. The UI for Anti-Spyware must be a little different than for straight ZA, as I didn't find an option to supress load on boot, so I simply exited Anti-Spyware after starting. When you suggest posting the results, are you suggesting anything specific? That is, what information would you want to see? Thanks again for your help. David Cole

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi, Just let me know, if everything worked out for you. If not, I would recommend you to complete a few online scanning for spyware, etc. I use Ewido Anti-Malware (www.ewido.com) which really scans your computerand finds any type of spyware or nasties which are hiding in your computer. They have have Free scanning available, also you mightwant totry Bitdefender.com, they also provide Free scanning. You never know, the problem may be spyware. I always cross check my Anti-Virus program with different online scans from other vendors, just to make sure, my Anti-Virus is checking and catching anything that might be hidden on my computer. Hope this info will help you out, if not just post back, and someone or myself will try to solve your problem. Thank you for your time and have a nice day! SlyFox:8}
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

6. Default Re: Lost internet connection with ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware

It took a while to get access to the friend's machine... I reinstalled Anti-Spyware, but I'm still seeing the DHCP error (1006) in the Event log. Should I expect DHCP to work with Anti-Spyware installed?Thanks, David

dlcole Guest

Epilogue...

I followed, line-by-line, the instructions at http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/P...tallNonNT.html
    and was able to get internet access restored.

All's well that ends well, I guess.

David

Thread Information