Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to access certain sites

aripassopolos Guest

Default Unable to access certain sites

I have two PCs behind a router connected to a cable modem. Bothrun licensed copies of ZoneAlarm. When I attempt to access certain sites from one of the computers I always get a "connection timed out" error, but thesesites are always reachable from the other computer. Their must be a setting in ZoneAlarm that is blockingaccess, but I have no idea what it might be. Can anyone help me with this?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: Unable to access certain sites

If you're running Zone Alarm with antivirus, it should not block any sites. If it does, that suggests to me there could be Pro features turned on causing the problem. A database reset will fix it if that is the problem. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

aripassopolos Guest

No go. I followed your instructions to the letter, but I'm still unable to connect. The blocked sites have one thing in common: all are login pages such as http://www.netflix.com/Login?hnjr=3. Also, whichever sites time out in Firefox also time out in IE. Any other ideas?

billc Guest

That's a first for me. I assume you successfully deleted those two files while booted in the Safe Mode? Did you clean your cache before you tried the sites again after deleting the two files? If not, do it now and try again; you may be getting 'cached' pages.

I'm not sure Zone Alarm is your problem because nothing in ZA with Antivirus should block access to a login site. Try this, right click on the ZA icon in your system tray, select 'shutdown Zone Alarm, and then try the sites again. Any luck?

fixmysystem Guest

I have exactly the same sort of problem... well sort of!

I have ZA running on my main home machine (Win 2k SP4) with ICS (Internet connection Sharing). Also running a wireless network (Access point) to which my laptop (Win XP tablet edition) connects to allowed me file sharing/printer sharing/internet access.

The fateful day came 1 week ago when I decided to upgrade my free version of ZA on the desktop to 6.1.173.thismucksyourmachineupversion

ZA would not run. Kept getting errors entry point in the framewrk.dll

Problem was not solved until I did the whole Safe mode deinstall thing. I then downgraded to an old 6.0.thisworks version which was fine.

Except, my laptop can access the desktop (file sharing) as normal. Internet access seems patchy - certain websites are fine. Others just don't come up (404 equivalent on firefox). They work fine on the desktop.

Sometimes just reloading on the laptop again and again gets them to work eventually (Windows update in IE is a classic example). However, shutting down ZA on the desktop immediately makes all of the sites available without error! Reinstating it causes those websites already open in the browser to work perfectly, but others not yet accessed to have the same error....

I am wondering whether the ZA on the desktop is hindering the DNS lookups on the laptop.
    (Must check the network printer is still available)

Any ZA Gods out there with an idea of how to solve this?

I must admit to being absolutely gutted at the hassles that attempting to upgrade to the latest version of ZA has caused. This has up till now been a mainstay of my system, but I must admit to feeling a certain degree of paranoia about it now.

Cheers

Vishal...

billc Guest

I'm thinking that just maybe ICS is not 100% correct after the uninstalling - reinstalling you went through. Look over this check list for ICS.

On the gateway machine, do the following.
    Click start -> run, type cmd and click ok.
    Type ipconfig /all and press enter.
    Find the connection you are using, and make note of all the DNS servers.
    Type exit and press enter.

Double-click the ZA icon down by the clock.
    Click firewall -> main, and click the advanced button.
    Put the check in "this computer is an ICS/NAT gateway"
    , and click ok.
    Click firewall -> zones.

Add each DNS server to the trusted zone. To do this, do the following.
    Click the add button, and then click IP address.
    Click trusted, put in the IP address, enter a description, and click ok.
    When finished adding all addresses, click the apply button.

Next, click program control -> programs. Locate Generic Host Processing.
    Under the server column, for trusted, change that to a check.
    Don't change server internet to a check, just server trusted.

If you have ZoneAlarm on the other computers, do the following.
    Click the ZA icon down by the clock.
    Put the check in "this computer is a client of an ICS/NAT gateway"
    , and click ok.

fixmysystem Guest

<blockquote><hr>BillCherryAtl wrote:
    I'm thinking that just maybe ICS is not 100% correct after the uninstalling - reinstalling you went through. Look over this check list for ICS.

On the gateway machine, do the following.
    Click start -> run, type cmd and click ok.
    Type ipconfig /all and press enter.
    Find the connection you are using, and make note of all the DNS servers.
    Type exit and press enter.

Double-click the ZA icon down by the clock.
    Put the check in "this computer is an ICS/NAT gateway"
    , and click ok.
    Click firewall -> zones.

Add each DNS server to the trusted zone. To do this, do the following.
    Click the add button, and then click IP address.
    Click trusted, put in the IP address, enter a description, and click ok.
    When finished adding all addresses, click the apply button.

Next, click program control -> programs. Locate Generic Host Processing.
    Under the server column, for trusted, change that to a check.
    Don't change server internet to a check, just server trusted.

If you have ZoneAlarm on the other computers, do the following.
    Click the ZA icon down by the clock.
    Put the check in "this computer is a client of an ICS/NAT gateway"
    , and click ok.
    <hr></blockquote>

Bill,

There is no option for ICS under advanced on my ZA (free) version. Only options for "Block Trusted Zone servers", "Block Internet Zone Servers", "Allow uncommon protocols at high security", "Allow outgoing DNS/DHCP in trusted zone on High Setting", "Allow outgoing DNS/DHCP in Internet zone on High Setting", "Lock Host File"

When I use ipconfig on the main desktop machine, I also get the DNS servers of my ISP. Should I be adding these?.

Generic Host process was configured as you suggested.

ZA on the other machine also has no ICS options. I don't wish to upgrade the free ZA to the latest version after the bad experiences I have had, and those of others here on the forum.

I have definately confirmed that shutting ZA doen on the desktop allows the laptop unfettered access to the 'net once again.

Feeling quite despondent now. Any further suggestions? I can post screenshots if there is any way to do this...

Thanks for suggestions so far.
    Cheers

Vishal...

gerard_konijn Guest

Vishal wrote: There is no option for ICS under advanced on my ZA (free) version. <HR>The free version of ZoneAlarm doesn't support Internet Connection Sharing. Upgrade to the Pro version or get a router then you can use the free versions on all machines. Or lower the Internet Security Settings to Medium.Another solution is to run a proxy on the gateway machine, here is an good free one: http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/proxy.htmAnd then Add the clients to it.Best regards/Vriendelijke groeten. Gerard Konijn. Tilburg. The Netherlands.

fixmysystem Guest

<blockquote><hr>Gerard-Konijn wrote:
    Vishal wrote: There is no option for ICS under advanced on my ZA (free) version. <HR>The free version of ZoneAlarm doesn't support Internet Connection Sharing. Upgrade to the Pro version or get a router then you can use the free versions on all machines. Or lower the Internet Security Settings to Medium.Another solution is to run a proxy on the gateway machine, here is an good free one: http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/proxy.htmAnd then Add the clients to it. Best regards/Vriendelijke groeten. Gerard Konijn. Tilburg. The Netherlands.

<hr></blockquote>

Gerard

Thanks so much for your helpful post. I will look into the proxy as you suggest.

What I can't understand though is the fact that 1 week ago, running exactly the same software, all was working well. I am most confused!

I am running the internet security settings at medium already, and the problems I have been describing were with this already selected.

Regards

Vishal...

auntbarbie Guest

I have been having the same problem with Webshots...kept getting the e-mail notification that there were new pics to download from the Webshots site, but kept getting sent back to the log on page, even though I was already logged on. The Webshots FAQ page says to dis-able ZA Pro (which I have), or check the directions for ZA, so I checked this forum. I did the instructions with the servers by Bill and it still won't work. Any other ideas...anyone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information