Thread: Can't access secure sites

narinesa Guest

Default Can't access secure sites

Hello,I have ZA home user version with windows xp sp2 and AVG antivirus.My browser is internet expolrer.I am no longer able to access secured sites like MSN mail or bank sites.I do have my bank in the trusted zone.I searched the site but could not identidy a fix.Any assistance will be appreciated.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:2.x

billc Guest

Default Re: Can't access secure sites

If you are using ZA Free, you'll have to reset your database. Sometimes ZA Pro features get activated causing this problem. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

narinesa Guest

Thank you for the info.My computer freezes in safe mode - blank screen - I cannot do anything.Sam

narinesa Guest

Hi,I was able to do windows xp in safe mode - I had to use the VGA option.I deleted the two files - still not being able to sign in to zone alarm web site or other secure sites.I am able to get MSN.I also un-installed zone alarm - no luck.I re-install zone alarm - no luck.I boot up without zone alarm, AVG virus or Advance System Optimizer - no luck.( I also have winfax driver ? trying to load upon bootup - don't know if this is causing a problem and how to stop or delete this. I generally start the task manager and delete same but it pops up everytime)This message is being sent from a different computer at a different location.ThanksSam

billc Guest

First, I don't believe WinFax is the problem. A search tells me this driver is used in connection with faxing. To try and stop it from loading at boot, go to Start > Run > type in msconfig , then click on the Startup tab. Now locate WinFax and uncheck it. When you reboot, you'll get an alert saying your startup has changed and do you want to set it back....click the 'don't show me this again' box and close the alert.

If you have uninstalled ZA, and still can't get to secure sites, then I think your browser has an issue or the settings are wrong. To test this, I'd suggest you download and install Firefox and then see if you can get to the sites. Personally I use Firefox as my default browser and I love it, especially all the extensions that are avilable. It is freeware.

narinesa Guest

Thanks for the info.Sam

narinesa Guest

Loaded firefox - same problem.Perhaps I do not know how to set zone alarm or if zone alarm is the problem.If I closes all tray programs, I still have the same problem.Please look at my original setup/configuration.Thanks

billc Guest

Try this Sam reset your ZA Free database and if ZA is the problem, this will fix it. What through me is you said you couldn't get to secure sites after uninstalling ZA. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

narinesa Guest

Default Mistery Solved

Mistery solved.

It appears that when I installed Zone Alarm, it picked up Norton Antivirus as the virus program.

I disabled Norton Antivirus and was using AVG.

I had to completely remove ALL norton from the SERVICES and uninstall.

It is working properly now.

billc Guest

Default Re: Mistery Solved

Thanks for letting us know what caused the problem.

Thread Information