Thread: ZA blocks local ethernet connection to router??

jays Guest

Default ZA blocks local ethernet connection to router??

Using ZA free on XP Home. Connect to internet via cable modem thru Belkin wireless router. My wireless adaptor can connect to internet all the tim, but when I plug in my ethernet local connection to the router, ZA is blocking its UDP request. When I look at the ZA Firewall/Main, it shows my 3Com ethernet adaptor with IP address of all zeros. I cannot edit this entry. How can I get tghe firewall to allow the ethernet adaptor to access the router and then the internet. Sometimes the connect works (don't know why) but after the PC is idle for a while, I can't connect thru the ethernet adaptor and see in the log that it's UDP request to the router has been blocked/

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

cartographe Guest

Default Re: ZA blocks local ethernet connection to router??

Hello Jays,

Do you connect to the router with both connection enabled when you experienced this problem?

jays Guest

Yes. I also entered into a question on the Configuration threads board and got a reply relative to the entry types in the Firewall/Zone. Both adapters are adapter subnet entries. They are not IP address entries. Don't remember how they got entered this way or what it all means. Also, the Properties for the ethernet adapter may allow it to be shutdown after idle period. This laptop is my daugthers so i'll check that out tomorrow

cartographe Guest

Hello,First off, make sure you only use 1 connection at a time so your laptop doesn't get confused on which one to use! If you connect with a lan cable, disable the wireless card. If you connect with the wireless card, make sure you unplug the cable from the lan jack. In fact the adapter usually doesn't shut down, it just use one connection by default over the other. I have experienced this myself in the past with my laptop. If you have adapter entries in the internet zone, it's because you accepted so when you got the za pop-up window. Best regards.

jays Guest

Thank you for your help.

Thread Information