Thread: Port 25

mapi Guest

Default Port 25

Hello,"Belarc" security device tells me that "port 25" is wide opened. Please, what's to be done to close it up. Thanks in advance.

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Port 25

Hi Mapi
    Read this thread that should answer your question http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=36350#M36350
    As you'll see with more detail in the thread the reasons for finding open ports are basically:
    - You are behind a NAT router or a modem that does NAT and if this open ports are found in a scan test then it's the hardware device (router or modem) and not your computer that is scanned, or
    - You gave internet server rights to one or more programs and it's this program or programs that keeps the ports open to listen for connections.
    In your case as you say it's "Belarc" security that says port 25 is open it's probable that it's the second case to cause that. In your programs list see under server internet if there are any green tick.
    You may also check the first hypothesis going to www.grc.com and running the shields up test.
    To start take a look to the thread mentioned above.
    Best regards

mapi Guest

Hi,Thank you very much for replying so fast. I fully understood your efficient explanations. Upon your request I visited "GRC.com" and had the ports test running. GRC pointed out that only "1025" was opened. So I'm not at all bothering about security.Thanks again ans all the best to you,Mapi.

gerard_konijn Guest

Port 1025 is used by.: Generic Host Process and Trojan Sightings: Fraggle Rock, md5 Backdoor, NetSpy, Remote Storm.Kind regards/Vriendelijke groeten. Gerard Konijn. Tilburg. The Netherlands.

ad_hock Guest

You're welcome
    I think you should pay some attention to the problem. As Guru Gerard says there are several malware that use the port 25 other then GHPWin32 (svchost.exe). An open port is really a vulnerability if you have any malware in your computer that may take advantadge of that to contact the internet and send information and receive instructions.I think that you should take a look as suggested in your program list to see if you have any green tick under server internet and change that, if you have,for question marks.Then run the test again to see if everything is stealthed now. I'm considering after what was discussed earlier that you are not behind a router or a modem with NAT capabilities.
    Best regards

albroun Guest

Regarding Port 1025 (about which this thread seemed to shift from talking about Port 25 originally) I recently upgraded from the free Zone Alarm to Zone Alarm with antivirus, but now, unlike before, when I run the GRC port scan, I am told port 1025 is open, whereas before, with the free version, it was shown as stealthed! My security settings are all set by Zone Alarm itself - it set them automatically, and Internet Security is set to "High" so I cannot add an extra port to block, though I am supposed to according to Steve Gibson's site.

Any help on this much appreciated

Message Edited by albroun on 04-24-200605:01 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus
    Software Version:6.1

Thread Information