Thread: ZONE ALARM AND CABLE MODEM ACCESS DHCP GONE WRONG

silverswill Guest

Default ZONE ALARM AND CABLE MODEM ACCESS DHCP GONE WRONG

Just wanted to drop a line about connecting a computer on a network to a high speed cable modem ISP privder,

Both my firewall settings are set to high and allow broadcst/multicast is turned off

When I click the enable buttone for local area connection in XP network connections I get the foolwing blocks from zone alarm. (note I think hackers are also trying to break in usind UDP conections at the same time? not sure).. *Note for security reasons some of the Identifying IP numbers have been changed to misc numbers.

The first block i get is orange and it says the firewall has blocked an Internet broadcast to your computer DHCP from 0.0.0.0 UDP port 68

Another one I get occasionally is as follows:
    Orange block the firewall has blocked intert access to all routers mulicast address 224.0.0.2 ICMP Router solicit
    from your computer

Then I also get these poping up even when I get connected and am surfing all the time
    Oraange block the firewall has blocked an internet broadcast to your computer UDP ort 68 from 10.30.96.1 DHCP
    prgram is generic host process for win 32 services. 000>>I keeo getting these type of errors but with numbers changing ie 10.xx.xx.1 etc

I also get Netbios blocks which I am not sure should be allowed or blocked
    orange the firewall has blocked local network access to a subned broadcast address 24.145.111.255

Then Finally I get this all the time
    The firwall has blocked locasl network access to 24.161.111.255.dhcp.your.isp.com (Netbios Datagram)

Also get IGMP blocked internet acces to a one hop multicast address 224.0.0.22 (IGMP from your computer

These errors are mainly when signing on to the high speed cable provider when you enable your local area connection

What Should I be allowing blocking and HOW do I set this up????????????

With best regards
    Silverswill

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

silverswill Guest

Default Re: ZONE ALARM AND CABLE MODEM ACCESS DHCP GONE WRONG

I figured out that when you disable the firewall (internet zone secuirty) (custom) allowing broadcast/Multicast stops the DHCP errors, in other words the DCHP server is allowed to perform the blocked issues listed in order to communicate with your local area connection and cable modem.

But the question still remains are these DHCP pings from 10.x.x.x considered a threat from your ISP?

Does enabling this option discriminate your stealth settings?

Silverswill

Default Re: ZONE ALARM AND CABLE MODEM ACCESS DHCP GONE WRONG

If allowing multicast / broadcasting is the only thing you have done, then chances are no, as some ISP block anything coming from the world on that port. So the only thing on that port is from within the ISP network. Try running the port scan over at GRC.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

Thread Information