Thread: zonealarm has blocked all internet access!

realmedia Guest

Default zonealarm has blocked all internet access!

Hi,This ismy problem: I had an older version of ZA on my PC which worked perfectly well until I installed an upgrade which I downloaded from the zonelabs site a few days ago.Immediately after the upgrade, all browsers, e-mail and ftp software didn't have internet access any more. This cannot be fixed by allowing them internet acces from within ZA, or by uninstalling ZA completely. No matter what i do, no program on the pc can access the internet any more.

Plus: In the "ZA control center" window, I get a message saying "System error: please reboot", which will not go away when i reboot, uninstall, or re-install the older or the last version of ZA.(Formatting my hard disk is not an option, as the pc is used for business and cannot be shut down for a whole day in order to go through the whole formatting process.)

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanx. :-)

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

gerard_konijn Guest

Default Re: zonealarm has blocked all internet access!

Hi realmedia and welcome to the Forum.First what you need to do is turn off the reboot on error in XP. Go tot he system control panel and select the advanced tab, then go to the startup and recovery section and click on the settings button. Now in the system failure section, uncheck the automatically reboot. Click OK.And than the easiest way is to trySystem Restore, you can use System Restore to remove any system changes that were made since the last time you remember your computer working correctly. System Restore does not affect your personal data files (such as Microsoft Word documents, browsing history, drawings, favorites, or email) When you run System Restore, a calendar is displayed to help you find restore points. Access the System Restore Wizard through Help and Support Center. Click Start, and then click Help and Support. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Using System Restore. Take a date before the upgrade,a few days ago.It will take some time butthe upgrade is completely disappeared. After that you haveyour internet access back again.Best regards/Vriendelijke groeten. Gerard Konijn. Tilburg. The Netherlands.
    Help with ZoneAlarm? There's a red Search! > option at the bottom of the page to find your answer.
    Or navigate the following link: http://www.donhoover.net/

Hang on, before you get too carried away lets just try and track the problem down first. To me, this sounds like it could be a DNS lookup problem. Kill 2 birds with one stone by doing this:-

Try opening a command prompt window and doing some simple tests. Try pinging a site (any site) by its IP address and then by its name and see what happens thus:-

c:\>ping 66.107.7.104
    c:\>ping www.google.com.au

If both work, DNS lookup is not the problem and your network connection is alive.

If the IP address works but you get an error message when you use the name then the problem is with DNS lookup. Try putting in a fixed address for the DNS in the TCP/IP settings for your network adaptor. Here's one to try 203.0.198.191 which is my ISP's DNS.

If neither work, check the other TCP/IP settings for your network adaptor and if they are okay, may be ZA is the cause.

Let us know and we'll take it from there.

Message Edited by FrereOP on 02-04-200610:14 AM

hovious Guest

Thread Information