Thread: ZAFREE I can't share between computers in the home on wireless network! Solution Solved Here!

smaerd Guest

Default ZAFREE I can't share between computers in the home on wireless network! Solution Solved Here!

Verizon DSL with Westell Modem,Linksys Wireless
    Router.Linksys Wireless Adapter. running on XP PRO.
    ZAFREE is blocking me from sharing files from one computer to the other inside a homenetwork set-up.Has anyone had this problem? Thanks smaerd

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Ok I figured it out and maybe it will help someone else out. I couldn't figure out why the free version didn't work but as soon as I tried the trial version of PRO it set-up my wireless network for me and worked fine. I went into my Zones tab and wrote down what was there and how it was set-up. After the trial was over I removed ZAPRO from my computer did a fresh install of the free version and sure-enough my network wasn't there.Opened up the Firewall Zones tab and wrote in the network like it was set-up in the PRO version and it works fine now.I think ZAFREE is made this way so that you are forced into thinking you need the PRO version and all the bloteware.Hope this helps someone.................

Message Edited by smaerd on 02-15-200611:28 AM

Default Re: ZAFREE is blocking my Homenetwork sharing between computers in the home!

Make sure you have your home network in the trusted zone (Firewall/Zones). Also, could reduce your firewall protection for the trusted zone to "LOW".

Note however, Windows networking is not a TCP/IP network. Zone Alarm will not protect you against intrusions from other PC's on a Windows network so you need to ensure you have your Windows Shares set up correctly and properly passworded. Make sure you change the 'Everybody' permission on shared folders to 'Authenticated Users', or to the user name(s) of the particular account(s) you wish to grant access.

smaerd Guest

Default Re: ZAFREE is blocking my Homenetwork sharing between computers in the home!

The only thing I see in the free version of firewall is my router home settings for linksys.I don't see anything that says homenetwork? I have tried every setting in Zonealarm to let me share wuthin my network but nothing works until I disable firewall.Please help or I will be looking for another software firewall.I have use ZA for about 4 years now with regular desktops now with the wireless set-up I am having conflicts.Thanks

Your home network should be shown under Firewall/Zones, and you should put it in the trusted zone. If it isn't showing, I have no idea what's going on.

You should set the Trusted Zone to either 'low' or 'medium' under Firewall/Main.

mjjordan Guest

Thanks for the advice!! I had the same question and a little searching and reading gave me this solution. I never knew that section was there and your answer will fix at least two of the problems I have been having.

Thanks again!

Thread Information