Thread: Driving me crazy....Can not find server

zonesafe Guest

Default Re: Driving me crazy....Can not find server

Follow this link (all possible issues):

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_any_website

Regards

dpic Guest

I am having the same problem. If my computer is idle for an hour or so, I cannot connect to the internet. I can ping ip addresses, and I can access other computer on my home network, but I cannot access any web pages. If I restarted the computer, I was back to normal. I finally tried turning off Zone Alarm, and I was able to access the internet again. Looks like others are having this problem, so what's the issue ZA? This started with the latest version--6.1.737

Thank-you.

hihtower Guest

What a relief (?) to find many others w/ the same problem! My son has been riding my butt for a week for doing something wrong, and three techies at my ISP don't want to talk to me anymore. I have limited tech. knowledge and '98SE
    (two strikes against me) - I just want to use the bloody thing! Have been using
    the free (thank you) firewall for nearly three years now without any problems except
    during the past week. If I don't shut it down, I can't get on the net (V6.1.737.000), even though the Internet connection shows as active. I was having problems w/NAV 2005 and their 'worm' downloads, but I
    see now that these are two entirely different problems. I feel naked not using a firewall, so what's up with a fix. Surely there are enough posts to stir something up.

misterk Guest

Looks like there aren't enough posts yet seeing as this thread got buried under the many others.

I guess there is no fix for this issue and I for one am getting bored of receiving the "Cannot find server" message.

Might be time to start looking for another firewall...

hovious Guest

Ditto here! Just purchased the latest ZA version last night, installed it, and nothing but trouble, whether with IE or Firefox. Seems after uninstall/reinstall of ZA and/or reboot of machine, I can then connect to the web. After 15 minutes or less, my connection just halts. Reboot machine, then turn off ZA completely, and everything is fine. Been out here naked as hihtower mentioned. Guess I will keep digging as I really would like to use the $42.95 program I bought!

scooter_grl Guest

I was having the same problem... lost my connection.
    However, I was able to connect to the internet via Windows Messenger, but still couldn't open a window from the IE icon.
    Anyway, while I was looking through this forum for an answer, I found this in the FAQ at the top of page 1 of the messages:

4) Why is ZA blocking Internet after a while? The most common cause is that you are losing your IP address. Most ISPs use DHCP to assign IP addresses. Many also send a heartbeat to see if you are still connected. If these are being blocked, you should see them in your Alerts. From inside ZA, press F1 and search for DHCP or HEARTBEAT.

Here's what I found in Help on ZA (searching for Heartbeat,
    allowing):
    Configuring Zone Labs security software to allow ping messages <a target="_blank"></a>

If your ISP uses ICMP echo (or ping) messages for connectivity checks, configure Zone Labs security software to allow ping messages from the Internet Zone. <a target="_blank"></a>

To configure Zone Labs security software to allow ping messages:
    1. <a target="_blank"></a>

* Select Firewall|Main.
    * In the Internet Zone area, click Custom.
    * Select check box labeled Allow incoming ping (ICMP echo).
    * Click OK.
    * Set the security level for the Internet Zone to Medium.

So, after making this quick change, I was able to log back on.
    Only time will tell if
    this is the solution.
    Good luck to you all.

scooter_grl Guest

WooHoo - two days and I'm still running without any problem!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information